Escalante

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry

Change of plans going to Escalante instead of GHB . I have never been there and any help would be greatly appreciated. Where to camp and start fishing if anyone has been there recently? My thought was to go back till stained water and look for a camp site . Going May 12 - 19.

Gary, I'm no expert on it, but from what I remember from the time I went into the Escalante arm, it was a pretty walled up area. No beaches or areas to really camp there that stuck in my mind. You might be better off looking at the google maps and staying closer to the Rincon? With the water this low maybe something above the waterline now. I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to point you to a good camp if there are any up that arm.

Gary, I'm no expert on it, but from what I remember from the time I went into the Escalante arm, it was a pretty walled up area. No beaches or areas to really camp there that stuck in my mind. You might be better off looking at the google maps and staying closer to the Rincon? With the water this low maybe something above the waterline now. I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to point you to a good camp if there are any up that arm.
That what I was afraid of but was hoping the low levels might brings some camping sites available.

That what I was afraid of but was hoping the low levels might brings some camping sites available.
There was some awesome looking camp spots just up around the corner from the mouth. We drove on past them going to the SJ last weekend.

At the mouth of the Escalante there is a beach on the right; additionally, around the restrooms across the channel there usually are some. Otherwise they are there but not a lot as you go up the canyon.

Not a ton of options in the Escalante at this lake level (3571), but there are a few. First off, the lake ends somewhere between Three Roof Ruin and Explorer Canyon, just short of Garces Island. Your best bets for a small boat campsite will probably be:

1. Right at the mouth of the Escalante on the right as you head upstream;
2. A couple of small rocky beaches in Indian Creek (first canyon on left), which disappear at higher lake levels;
3. A pretty decent beach in the main stem on left about halfway between Clear Creek and Davis Gulch;
4. A possible small beach at the end of the unnamed short canyon more or less directly across from Davis Gulch;
5 A possible small beach or two in Davis Gulch;
6. A nice beach in Fifty-Mile right at the navigable end--actually it's a raised bar in mid-stream that cuts off boat access to the rest of the canyon beyond, even though the lake continues;
7. A possible rocky beach on the main stem left between Fifty-Mile and Willow Gulch;
8. Difficult gooey beach at the end of Willow Gulch;
9. Possible beach toward the end of Bishop Canyon (tributary to Willow Gulch); and
10. Possible beach main stem on right, just before Three Roof Ruin.

Not a ton of options in the Escalante at this lake level (3571), but there are a few. First off, the lake ends somewhere between Three Roof Ruin and Explorer Canyon, just short of Garces Island. Your best bets for a small boat campsite will probably be:

1. Right at the mouth of the Escalante on the right as you head upstream;
2. A couple of small rocky beaches in Indian Creek (first canyon on left), which disappear at higher lake levels;
3. A pretty decent beach in the main stem on left about halfway between Clear Creek and Davis Gulch;
4. A possible small beach at the end of the unnamed short canyon more or less directly across from Davis Gulch;
5 A possible small beach or two in Davis Gulch;
6. A nice beach in Fifty-Mile right at the navigable end--actually it's a raised bar in mid-stream that cuts off boat access to the rest of the canyon beyond, even though the lake continues;
7. A possible rocky beach on the main stem left between Fifty-Mile and Willow Gulch;
8. Difficult gooey beach at the end of Willow Gulch;
9. Possible beach toward the end of Bishop Canyon (tributary to Willow Gulch); and
10. Possible beach main stem on right, just before Three Roof Ruin.
I have a 22 ft pontoon 3 or 6 sound . Have you fished there lately? I wanted to go to GHB but looks like it going to be to muddy.

Haven't been there this year...last time was late summer last year, when the lake was a bit higher... But no doubt more clear than GHB...

And I hate to admit that I don't fish, mostly hike the side canyons, so can't help you on the fishing question...

Check GoogleEarth and look for the historic imagery from 8-24-04, when the lake was at 3574 if you want to assess the beaches...

Haven't been there this year...last time was late summer last year, when the lake was a bit higher... But no doubt more clear than GHB...

And I hate to admit that I don't fish, mostly hike the side canyons, so can't help you on the fishing question...

Check GoogleEarth and look for the historic imagery from 8-24-04, when the lake was at 3574 if you want to assess the beaches...
I can’t find the historic images

I was in there over Easter, there are a few options in the first few canyons. Just before you get to Davis Gulch there is a big sandbar that we stayed on. We had 4 boats and 8 tents set up on it. It should be a good spot for a couple more weeks. There was nothing in Davis Gulch or Fifty mile accessible.
We are headed to San Juan in the morning.

I was in there over Easter, there are a few options in the first few canyons. Just before you get to Davis Gulch there is a big sandbar that we stayed on. We had 4 boats and 8 tents set up on it. It should be a good spot for a couple more weeks. There was nothing in Davis Gulch or Fifty mile accessible.
We are headed to San Juan in the morning.
We are not going till May 12 -19 do you think that will still be good.

We are not going till May 12 -19 do you think that will still be good.
Best guess is that the water will come up 5-10 feet by May 20 (probably closer to 10 feet...maybe even a touch higher). That would put the lake at 3576-3581. I'm attaching images of that sandbar at lake level 3576 and 3591... still plenty big through that whole rise... I think you'll be fine...Escalante between Clear Creek and Davis 3576  8-15-04.jpgEscalante between Clear Creek and Davis 3591  4-6-15.jpg

This is where the one i am talking about is. Im guessing you would be ok but the additional water will open up other spots as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190501-175500_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20190501-175500_Maps.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back