End of an Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamWeaver

We first started coming to the Lake in the early 1990’s when we still lived in Pennsylvania, then the Lake was still at or near full pool. In 1998 we purchased a tritoon and moved to Colorado, mainly to be closer to the Lake. At that time my main interest was photographing and fishing. In 2003, we traded the Tritoon in for a houseboat. That same year the Lake was falling to record lows and I began finding dinosaur tracks. The more the Lake fell, the more I found. Since then fishing became secondary and my main focus was on discovering and documenting dino tracks and traces. Over the years, hundreds of sites and thousands of tracks were found. During that time, I think we have explored most of the shoreline and canyons from Bullfrog to Hite, up the Escalante, the San Juan Arm past the Great Bend and down lake to just below Rainbow Bridge. Our discoveries were the subject of exhibits at the John Wesley Powell Museum in Page and the Prehistoric Museum in Price. The story of these discoveries are detailed in my book The Lost Tracks, a Journey of Discovery.
Over the years, we met a lot of folks that shared our love of the Lake. The Shad Rallies became an annual not to be missed event, where we made even more friends. We had some great trips fishing boils, exploring new sites, and enjoyed great weather. Other trips were not so nice with endless wind and heavy weather. In all we were pretty lucky, having people like Captain Tony and Captain Whitey at Exec. Services, the boat repair shop mechanics, and the friendly folks at dry storage keeping our boats running.
In September, we took our last trip to the Lake. Age has taken its toll and running the houseboat by ourselves is no longer practical. So, we are putting the 48' Myacht with trailer and 21'Lund up for sale and saying good by to the Lake.

It’s been a very fine run…..

Best,
DreamWeaver

You have inspired much enthusiasm for the lake and exploring it's beauty and history. You efforts are indeed one of the treasures for the lake and it's preservation. Best of luck to you in the future.
Chuck Fulton

Sorry to hear...what great memories you have, though! I first met you at a north shad rally...thanks for all you've done for our beloved lake...happy trails.

Hi Andre...very sorry you're leaving the greatest place on earth.
I know what you mean, we haven't been back since selling Cropduster in 2017. Would be way too painful for us.

By the way we still have your vacuum packed, whole bean, Raven's Brew Blend, Dark Roast Coffee. Think you gave it to us at one of the North Shad Rally's. Haven't had the heart to open it.
The title is perfect: "Three Peckered Billy Goat Coffee".
Don't know where you dug that stuff up.....but in your honor we'll have to open it.
I'm just sure it'll be...ah....tasty. After all the bag says:
"Velvety mouthfeel, superb body. Uncanny high notes of fruity sweetness hover over a dry-chocolate base."
How can that miss?

Still remember some of your boating stories like when out on the San Juan.....and a university professor took out your front sliding screen door during a moment of......well not a moment of clarity.
Or your uncanny ability to shoot a fly off the houseboat wall...with one rubber band...10 ft. away.
I suppose after being up lake many times, for over a month like you did...well...you can acquire some strange skills..........

Good luck with the boat sale.
Have fun in your future.
weeds & Linda

Hi Andre...very sorry you're leaving the greatest place on earth.
I know what you mean, we haven't been back since selling Cropduster in 2017. Would be way too painful for us.

By the way we still have your vacuum packed, whole bean, Raven's Brew Blend, Dark Roast Coffee. Think you gave it to us at one of the North Shad Rally's. Haven't had the heart to open it.
The title is perfect: "Three Peckered Billy Goat Coffee".
Don't know where you dug that stuff up.....but in your honor we'll have to open it.
I'm just sure it'll be...ah....tasty. After all the bag says:
"Velvety mouthfeel, superb body. Uncanny high notes of fruity sweetness hover over a dry-chocolate base."
How can that miss?

Still remember some of your boating stories like when out on the San Juan.....and a university professor took out your front sliding screen door during a moment of......well not a moment of clarity.
Or your uncanny ability to shoot a fly off the houseboat wall...with one rubber band...10 ft. away.
I suppose after being up lake many times, for over a month like you did...well...you can acquire some strange skills..........

Good luck with the boat sale.
Have fun in your future.
weeds & Linda
Weeds, we are all waiting for your review of that aged vintage "Three Peckered Billy Goat Coffee".

If I recall you got that at a lesser known location in Alaska...

It should probably only be opened on the lake. Where some of the most God-Awful coffee I've ever made and/or tasted resides.
When a clear head is needed during some early morning 70kt...blown-off-anchor event.
I'm sure Billy Goat would fill the bill.

I really don't want to open the pretty bag which looks like it was vacuumed packed to .0001 psi. Whole bean brick.
20190930_154545  3 peckered billy goat.jpg

Attachments

• 3 peckered billy goat coffee.jpg
    3 peckered billy goat coffee.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 35
So glad I came across your wonderful posts here on WW. If you missed them, you really missed some awe inspiring art. Thanks for keeping them "tracks" safe too. This DreamWeaver pic is a favorite of mine from 2004. Thank you Andre!!!

Above-Moki-.jpg

Breaks my heart to read this. This lake, and by extension--this board--has been a respite from our daily indoor lives for a long time. For some of us, a very, very long time. Thanks for all you've done to share your incredible experiences. May your next phase in life be as great as this past one.

Thanks. Are you sure it's your last hurrah on the lake? I saw you 2 weeks ago and again yesterday. That's more than the last 2 years when you were a regular. I miss you already!!
See ya in a couple weeks when I'm back here. Ha ha ha

Thought I was going to see you and your lovely wife this weekend at our studio during the Grand Valley Open Studio Tour in Grand Junction. A perfect time to get her that perfect anniversary gift. It’s a 3 day event with 25 area artists opening their studios to the public. Oh, I forgot to ask... did Gold Cup bake you a cake for your birthday???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back