Effect on fisheries with no fishing pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

I'm really curious what Wayne's (and others') views are on the effect of the fisheries without any fishing pressure? No need to discuss why the lake is closed, but I'm curious what we think might be some of the short and long term effects on the fishery when it's left to 'nature'? Science discussion only please!

My guess is short term there will be an increase in number of spawning survivors leading to larger numbers in 2 or 3 years? Or will the stripers eat everything? :)

Existing fish will grow a little, but then any increase in numbers starts to deplete baitfish.

A LOT of stripers are taken out of Lake Powell, and I know Wayne has always said this is good, and needed. Without this harvesting, I assume the striper numbers will quickly exceed the available food supply leading to skinny stripers again?

Just curious and wondered if anyone else had any thoughts?

Lake Nighthorse was closed from its inception/fill in 2008 until April of 2018. When it opened to the public it was probably some of the most bonkers fishing I have ever seen, 20-30inch trout almost every cast and they were chasing flies and lures from 20 yards away. Obviously LP won’t be closed for that long but even a few months of no fishing pressure could possibly improve the fishery.. but powell is so big that maybe it will have no effect. Can’t wait to find out when we are let back in tho.

Lake Nighthorse was closed from its inception/fill in 2008 until April of 2018. When it opened to the public it was probably some of the most bonkers fishing I have ever seen, 20-30inch trout almost every cast and they were chasing flies and lures from 20 yards away. Obviously LP won’t be closed for that long but even a few months of no fishing pressure could possibly improve the fishery.. but powell is so big that maybe it will have no effect. Can’t wait to find out when we are let back in tho.
Thats what dreams are made of!!

There are so many variables that make it hard to predict what will actually. My guess is a month without fishing pressure will make little difference. A year will make make a huge difference. We do not know how long this will last. I hope I can to sample fish and write reports, but I am not sure that is allowed. When I learn more I will report here on WW.net

I monitor hawks, eagles, owls and falcons for a Utah-based non-profit. There are MANY peregrine falcon nests on Lake Powell and a few golden eagles. It's VERY important that I am allowed access to the lake in order to do this work - especially at this critical nesting season. Through lack of storage at my house and out of necessity all my fishing gear is stored on my boat. Honest officer, I don't have anywhere else to put it!

At least that's the line I intend to use.

See if you can get me access Wayne? :)

I monitor hawks, eagles, owls and falcons for a Utah-based non-profit. There are MANY peregrine falcon nests on Lake Powell and a few golden eagles. It's VERY important that I am allowed access to the lake in order to do this work - especially at this critical nesting season. Through lack of storage at my house and out of necessity all my fishing gear is stored on my boat. Honest officer, I don't have anywhere else to put it!

Now that sounds essential to me. 😉

There are so many variables that make it hard to predict what will actually. My guess is a month without fishing pressure will make little difference. A year will make make a huge difference. We do not know how long this will last. I hope I can to sample fish and write reports, but I am not sure that is allowed. When I learn more I will report here on WW.net
Getting vital data on the fish population during this crisis sounds like essential duty to me, besides we all need to here how the fish are holding up with out any pressure. 😉

I'm really curious what Wayne's (and others') views are on the effect of the fisheries without any fishing pressure? No need to discuss why the lake is closed, but I'm curious what we think might be some of the short and long term effects on the fishery when it's left to 'nature'? Science discussion only please!

My guess is short term there will be an increase in number of spawning survivors leading to larger numbers in 2 or 3 years? Or will the stripers eat everything? :)

Existing fish will grow a little, but then any increase in numbers starts to deplete baitfish.

A LOT of stripers are taken out of Lake Powell, and I know Wayne has always said this is good, and needed. Without this harvesting, I assume the striper numbers will quickly exceed the available food supply leading to skinny stripers again?

Just curious and wondered if anyone else had any thoughts?
Those poor fish will be starving if we are not able to feed them :ROFLMAO:

There was a dead golden in the very back of red canyon a couple of weeks ago

Fishfry
Have you walked in there and fished that Blue notch and Red canyon, or boat?

Fishfry
Have you walked in there and fished that Blue notch and Red canyon, or boat?
We usually do a spring trip down there every year. My brother actually saw that golden hiking/shore fishing the very back of red. We fished via boat for a couple days and then hiked/shore fished blue notch and red canyon for a day because of motor problems we had. BTW it ended up being bad gas from Hanksville that was the culprit

We usually do a spring trip down there every year. My brother actually saw that golden hiking/shore fishing the very back of red. We fished via boat for a couple days and then hiked/shore fished blue notch and red canyon for a day because of motor problems we had. BTW it ended up being bad gas from Hanksville that was the culprit
You guy's earn them for sure, If I had your youth and ambition, I would have to do White canyon, and North wash. I'm sure NW would be a good hike.

You guy's earn them for sure, If I had your youth and ambition, I would have to do White canyon, and North wash. I'm sure NW would be a good hike.
Haha ya we’re getting old so don’t know how many more we’re gonna get in. We’ve been trying to access north wash via hiking but so far it is about impossible- hiking down from the raft launch at a certain elevation might be obtainable but looks sketchy right now and will only increase with runoff.

Haha ya we’re getting old so don’t know how many more we’re gonna get in. We’ve been trying to access north wash via hiking but so far it is about impossible- hiking down from the raft launch at a certain elevation might be obtainable but looks sketchy right now and will only increase with runoff.
There is an old cat trail that switch backs down into north wash, but it’d be STEEP climbing back out

There is an old cat trail that switch backs down into north wash, but it’d be STEEP climbing back out
You have any idea where a starting point would be we tried 3 different spots (hite overlook and two other pull offs just before) and all of them Cliffed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back