Does wind forecast for Page predict wind on southern LP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYam4

I keep checking the weather forecast to plan my trip to the lake but just curious how well the wind forecast for Page predicts wind levels on the southern portion of the lake.

Or Is there a better way to go about it?

I should have added some other instructions. When you get to ADDS select METAR which will bring up a page of maps. The second map down is Regional METAR Plots. Enter KPGA and select "decoded" then TAF. You will get full current weather (METARS) and future (TAF) forecasts. Times are in GMT or ZULU. To convert the times to Page local time, subtract 7 from the times shown. Chuck

Thanks! I'm still hoping this weekend is doable. Looking kind of windy though. Windfinder is saying 15mph in the afternoon on Saturday, NOAA is saying 6-14 mph with gusts up to 21mph, wunderground says it's topping out at 10mph Saturday afternoon.

Thanks! I'm still hoping this weekend is doable. Looking kind of windy though. Windfinder is saying 15mph in the afternoon on Saturday, NOAA is saying 6-14 mph with gusts up to 21mph, wunderground says it's topping out at 10mph Saturday afternoon.
That’s not very windy - could create some good fishing conditions

Good to know it doesn't sound overly windy to those with more experience at this sort of thing.

Trying to hold position or sometimes even a distance from shore can be difficult in winds above 10mph(in our 18' fishing boat). I haven't yet tried trolling in my Cabin Cruiser in winds of more than about 5mph(maybe soon if I start hearing good reports), but I suspect 10mph winds should be manageable.

The only weather forcast that I have ever seen that was accurate is the wind Forecast. If they say 24AEA87F-507A-4701-96EB-6801BDC5A4EC.jpegit is going to blow get ready. If you have a trolling motor you can tack the wind like a sail boat, while using your main engine for propulsion. This was in 20+ mph wind in the Channel between Halls and Bullfrog.

The only weather forcast that I have ever seen that was accurate is the wind Forecast. If they say View attachment 7046it is going to blow get ready. If you have a trolling motor you can tack the wind like a sail boat, while using your main engine for propulsion. This was in 20+ mph wind in the Channel between Halls and Bullfrog.
What was your catch rate in the wind compared to calmer water?

Believe it or not calmer water. The fish were running 50-70 ft deep, they were probably hitting about the same. In wind like that you can’t crank down on the rod tension with the down riggers. So, unless it is a good fish, you might end up dragging it around for an hour Before you realize you have one. Boating them can get really exciting, especially because I am usually a one man band.

I also sanity fish, and probably should not be out in those conditions. I would rather be on the water like that than holed up in my camper listening to the wind blow.

I agree with Wayne that Weatherunderground is pretty good, I have printed out hour by hour reports and tracked them against the reality when camping and find it often accurate to the hour.
I don't want to go camping if double digit winds are predicted, it's like only skiing weekdays, you reach a point in life where you can choose and I choose the least wind. But man, sometimes we come down to page for 4-6 weeks and really struggle to find a good series of days without wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back