Denver Boat Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the new boat. Tommy's gave us tickets, so we will be there.

Personally, I don't think I would be overly excited about having thousands of people crawling through my brand new boat. Will they be letting people walk through it?

How about a few pictures for us folks that can't make the show? Nothing like a new boat. I 'm still in the garage admiring mine almost every day waiting till the next time I can get it on the water, maybe Thursday after the storm pushes thru. Congrats

Congrats on the new boat. Tommy's gave us tickets, so we will be there.

Personally, I don't think I would be overly excited about having thousands of people crawling through my brand new boat. Will they be letting people walk through it?
Ryan, I'm with you, however......

Crowely & Ranger have been awesome to work with over the years. Crowley will post the boat as sold. Only serious buyers will be able to get in it. I am not concerned at all with the boat in their hands.

The model we have is the largest of the Ranger Fish & ski models, not core to Ranger most popular boats, and as the largest of the fish & skis, not one that they usually buy on spec as the smaller 18' is more popular (affordable ) When we purchased the first one, there wasn't a model anywhere in Denver so that we could actually "touch and feel it." The regional sales manager for Ranger got their Grand Junction dealer - Mattas - to open on Sunday so we could actually "touch and feel" the model we wanted on a return trip from Powell.

Just paying it forward, since we were buying the boat anyway, it was a win-win to have it in the show so more folks can actually see the model, and we still get delivery long before we'll make a Powell trip.

When is the best time to buy a new boat and does the boat company offer discounts at Boat shows or is the price steady throughout the year. I am thinking of upgrading.

When is the best time to buy a new boat and does the boat company offer discounts at Boat shows or is the price steady throughout the year. I am thinking of upgrading.
Wayne, that's a good question. I'm not the expert, but they all do offer "boat show specials". What I've seen is that there is some published price reduction (not sure if you could get the same negotiating with the dealer) and some of the optional equipment "free". Ranger throws in their boat cover which is $1000 extra as part of the boat show special.

Wayne, I would say find the boat that you like then shop it at several dealers within 800 to 1000 mile radius. I saved $4000 on my boat by being willing to drive to Las Vegas to pick it up. I shopped Utah, Wyoming, and Nevada. Let the dealers duke it out with each other in the price war. Lowest bid gets the sale.

That was about an 800 mile round trip for me.

Wayne,
I went to Phoenix for their Boat Show at WestWorld last year. It's scheduled as the International Sportsmens' Expo and is Mar 22-25 2018. They had a number of AZ, NV, etc dealers. Don't think Bass Pro was there but they have a BPS on the 202 just east of the 101 intersection. A good number of fishing boats and a ton of wake boats...some huge. Also had some good vendors for electronics, etc. A ton of other outdoor vendors...everything imaginable. The Lake Havasu Boat show is Apr 6-8. I'm confident all the Vegas boat dealers will be there. If you want to attend one of these, let me know and I may join you. Chuck

That's a beautiful boat, I wish my brand would have had those bucket seats that fold up for an elevated view while driving. I have always had to sit on my tackle box. I think you will be happy with the E-tec too, mine is awesome.

Wayne, I would say find the boat that you like then shop it at several dealers within 800 to 1000 mile radius. I saved $4000 on my boat by being willing to drive to Las Vegas to pick it up. I shopped Utah, Wyoming, and Nevada. Let the dealers duke it out with each other in the price war. Lowest bid gets the sale.

That was about an 800 mile round trip for me.

I'd like to give a different take on that. What Gem suggests is exactly what I did when I bought an RV years ago. The dealer in Denver wouldn't give me the time of day, or really negotiate at all. I bought basically the same trailer in Casper, saving thousands of dollars. Which was great. Until it came time to do warranty work. And the dealer in Colorado made it very difficult.

When I bought my Malibu in 2014, I did some shopping. But because of new boat sticker prices, I was more looking used (dealer demo) out of Vegas. Long story short, the local dealer came up with a very fair selling price to keep me local.

In hindsight, buying local was a great decision. Not because I got a great deal (although I think I did), but because I created a relationship with the dealer that would be doing my warranty work (and, unless you buy a very basic boat, you will need warranty work). Maybe my dealer gives the same great service to everyone, but I don't think so. There have been multiple times in the first 3 years of ownership where something wasn't working right, and the dealer bent over backwards to fix it without having me lose any time on the water.

To me, that is worth spending a little extra $.

If that isn't enough to convince you, you should also know that many manufactures offer "protected territories" to their dealer. What that means is that even if you buy new from a dealer outside your area, your local dealer will still earn a commission on your sale. Which means your dealer could almost certainly at least match the out of area price.

@wayne gustaveson , to answer your question directly, I am of the opinion that buying at the end of season is the best time to buy (if you are buying something in stock). Dealers don't want to sit on inventory for months while most people aren't looking. Also, as with any big purchase, end of month and end of quarter will often get you a better deal. During that time, everyone is looking to "hit their number", and will be more willing to negotiate because of that.

If you are looking to custom order, I would say around the boat show is the best time. Manufactures do give dealers extra incentives around that time to entice them to increase their presence at the boat shows. That won't be true in spring/early summer.

That's a beautiful boat, I wish my brand would have had those bucket seats that fold up for an elevated view while driving. I have always had to sit on my tackle box. I think you will be happy with the E-tec too, mine is awesome.
We have a 2008 Reata 211 with an E-tec 225 now. We love it, just upgrading to some of the new features. I’m the official boat driver in the family and I am SO excited for the booster seat. I sit on the throwable most of the time.

We have a 2008 Reata 211 with an E-tec 225 now. We love it, just upgrading to some of the new features. I’m the official boat driver in the family and I am SO excited for the booster seat. I sit on the throwable most of the time.
I would be real interested in how it runs and with which prop you're using. I have a 220 Escape with the 250hp HO running a 21 pitch rebel that came with it and am thinking about maybe getting a different prop, but haven't found much info on these fish & ski hulls. How about a performance review on how she handles once you get her on the water?

Wayne, you are a well known hardcore fisherman with many years of experience. In addition you have a lot of public exposure through this website and your career. I would think a manufacturer out there would, at minimum, provide partial sponsorship if not full. You would provide them a ton of exposure just running the lake on your fishing trips alone.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the second clue as to how that could become reality. Writing to manufacturers of boats you are interested in would be as good a start as any, I imagine.

wow....very nice boat.....congrats. My wife still tells the story when we bought our last new boat, we were so anxious to get hours on it before going to Powell, we were up at Carter Res. running around the lake with snow flakes falling. Let us all know if you do the same!

Wayne, you knew Guy Robertson, his family (dad and Uncle Don) had the dealership for ranger in Utah, Dons daughter Sue and her husband Rick now own Robertson Marine, I would think that they may be able to help a Utah Fisheries Icon like yourself in finding that perfect boat out there.

Wayne if your interested in a Ranger it sounds like they have gone to the Bass Pro national pricing system. You can actually build the boat online and that is the price. when I bought my ranger in 2011 you could deal and find best price,a buddy has been shopping this year and sounds like price is hard now. boat show free covers maybe about as good as it gets now that Bass Pro owns Ranger. Powell bride Is that what you found when buying? Sweet boat Powell Bride that Etec is awesome...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back