Decontamination ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph McBride

Just wondering if some new rules are in place ? While driving home from Lake Mead Recreation area, yesterday, I received a call informing me that a decontamination of my boat will be required before launching at Powell. Not a problem at all, but, just wondering if there is a different strain of Quagga at Mohave compared to Powell ?

Not a different strain of mussels but concern for other types of invasive species that are now moving around between lakes. It could be vegetation, or microscopic plankton-sized nuisance species, or a wide variety of other options. Decontamination is free when you come to Lake Powell. It should only take 20 minutes out of your day. Thanks for your cooperation. WG

Just out of curiosity, are they decontaminating boats leaving LP? It makes so much more sense to stop the spread at a source, then try and stop it once a boat leaves the lake and enters into uninfested waters....

Just wondering if some new rules are in place ? While driving home from Lake Mead Recreation area, yesterday, I received a call informing me that a decontamination of my boat will be required before launching at Powell. Not a problem at all, but, just wondering if there is a different strain of Quagga at Mohave compared to Powell ?
How did they have your phone #. Why didn't they decontaminate it there?

Just out of curiosity, are they decontaminating boats leaving LP? It makes so much more sense to stop the spread at a source, then try and stop it once a boat leaves the lake and enters into uninfested waters....

Absolutely. Decon is required for boats that have been in the water for 6 days or more.
Decon is required for any boat where any foreign object is found (Vegetation, mud, or water that cannot be drained.)
All boats are inspected on the ramp as they leave the lake.
and Before Launching in another water:

Self Decontamination: is allowed by drying the boat for the appropriate period (7 days summer, 30 days in winter) Or:

Professional Decontamination: includes washing and flushing the boat with 140 degree water.
for more information visit www.stdofthesea.com to find the nearest decon station and schedule a complimentary decon.

It is the self decontamination part that worries me. Our boat will get the decon at the Wyoming border. If it is not operating We take our boat to the Wyoming Game and Fish Office and have them decon the boat for free, but it does take time and effort. We know from the Lake Powell experience that not all boaters are willing....

I just wish they did the hot water decon on every boat leaving Lake Powell. Half the time we are leaving the lake the inspection station is not even open......

Wayne, maybe you can provide some clarification. Last year we were told ALL I/O type boats have a year round drying time of 30 days. Your comment above may leave some to wonder if it is now back to 7 days in summer. I am curious to know which drying time is being used this year.

Absolutely. Decon is required for boats that have been in the water for 6 days or more.
Decon is required for any boat where any foreign object is found (Vegetation, mud, or water that cannot be drained.)
All boats are inspected on the ramp as they leave the lake.
and Before Launching in another water:

Self Decontamination: is allowed by drying the boat for the appropriate period (7 days summer, 30 days in winter) Or:

Professional Decontamination: includes washing and flushing the boat with 140 degree water.
for more information visit www.stdofthesea.com to find the nearest decon station and schedule a complimentary decon.
Is decon required for all boats that have been in for more than 6 days, or optional.

Until all the states get on the same page and honor each other’s decontamination procedures, it doesn’t make sense for me to wait for decon at Powell and then be decontaminated again when I get home.

I’m all for mandatory decontamination at Powell, but it will take more than 20 minutes. In my experience, doing my Malibu takes about an hour.

When we put the boat on the trailer and arrived lot D, the station was closed already. Not sure what we can. Any suggestions for this case? thanks

Self decon by cleaning, draining & drying your boat and go on home.

Thank you guys.

My intention of this question is to ask if we were stopped by the DWR officer on the back home, are we going to get a ticket for not being able to decon the boat during the station after hours? I asked a few guys at lot D, they don't have answers neither. Sounds like we have to take our own risk.

Thank you guys.

My intention of this question is to ask if we were stopped by the DWR officer on the back home, are we going to get a ticket for not being able to decon the boat during the station after hours? I asked a few guys at lot D, they don't have answers neither. Sounds like we have to take our own risk.
I haven’t yet heard a report of someone getting stopped after they left the lake. But I’m sure it has happened.

I think they would have a pretty hard time ticketing you for not being inspected if the inspection station wasn’t manned when you left.

Also seems to me that “clean drain dry” should apply on your way out wether you’ve been inspected or not n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back