Decontamination Problem ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty Gray

Went to the lake this morning for a little fishing and r&r and didn't make it past the decontamination area. My boat fired up like it always does and about 1:30 minutes into the process the engine died. I'm not a mechanic so just made sure things were tight and that gas was moving without any luck. Returned home and hooked it up to the garden hose and it fired right up and ran perfect. Family hopped in the truck and we returned to the lake, the same thing happened. Got home and it fired right up with the garden hose. Could the hot water at decontamination be the problem? Is there a sensor that kills the engine from the hot water? I have been on Powell four times this year and haven't had any trouble. The boat is a Tahoe Q7i with a Mercury 5.0. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have an answer for you but I am curious why you had a hot water decontamination before launching? Especially 2 times in a row?

The guys at the station said it had to be at a certain temperature for a set amount of time. Both times the water got to the temperature and shut the boat down before the required amount of time. When I launched at this lake last year, we didn't have any problems. Another boat right after us had the same issue, but they were able to meet the amount of time barely. Then they were on the water running fine.

Sorry, I don't think I asked my question properly.

I thought you had to have a hot water decontamination AFTER boating in Lake Powell so you don't carry the mussels elsewhere.

I've never had to be decontaminated BEFORE launching - I just wondered why they're making you do that?

I leave out of Halls and I have only seen someone there one time. The one time I came out at Bullfrog, they told me Colorado wouldn't uphold Utahs decontamination so they did not decontaminate my boat from Bullfrog either.

I am not sure about in boards, but most newer out boards have an over heat alarm and shut down feature to keep from blowing up the motor. You might want to call your boat tech and see if that is a possibility. It might be that the water temp is shutting it down.

When we left Powell after a five day fishing trip mid May one of our party with a pontoon boat had to knock on the truck window of the decon guy cause he was busy on his cell phone. This was at stateline ramp. My buddy was told that he didn't need the decon and was sent on his way. Two weeks later we were at Panquitch lake and the Utah decon guy cleaned boat,trailer, and engine. The Powell guy dropped the ball. Is is any wonder we have quagga?
I leave out of Halls and I have only seen someone there one time. The one time I came out at Bullfrog, they told me Colorado wouldn't uphold Utahs decontamination so they did not decontaminate my boat from Bullfrog either.

I have never heard of a water temp sensor on the incoming coooling water, but I guess it could be possible.

When we were at Bullfrog in early May there was a doom and gloom NPS ranger who did our leaving water inspection. He told me that since we were taking our boat out of Utah they would not decontaminate her, which I sort of understand. Since he seemed talkative I asked him why were they making houseboats clean the hulls prior to relaunch if they were going back into contaminated water? He said it was because they were trying eliminate any dead mussels returning to the water where they would add to the decaying mussel problem, using Utah Lake's algae bloom problem last summer as an example. (I was pretty sure that Utah Lake was still considered not infected. I checked as we drove home and confirmed that the algae bloom problem at Utah Lake was caused by a combination of low, stagnate water and excessively high temperatures, not dead mussels). He then went on to say that houseboaters were going to face delays and excessive costs getting boats back in the water since all of Offshore's trailers were impounded and the only approved hauler was J&B. Since Offshore had just put our boat back in the water just a few weeks earlier I found his statement a little hard to believe. Has anybody ran into any problems getting their houseboats back in the water?

BTW
Over the past two years I have been very impressed with the proactive and accommodating attitude I have found at the Colorado state park lakes and Larimer County (CO) lakes when it comes to decontaminating boats. I try to do it during the week, and as soon as I can once I get back from Powell.

Mr. Helzer, it looks like Colorado has done a very good job educating their boaters about quagga and zebra mussels. On the same fishing trip I referenced earlier about the stateline decon guy, was an old friend from Lamar Colorado who gushed about the success of the efforts Colorado has gone through to keep the mussels out of of their fisheries and his enthusiasm to comply with the effort was impressive. Time will tell for Colorado. but so far I am saddened at the fact that Powell is infected. What do you do?

In my experience, any modern boat will shut down if it senses an overheating issue. It's a built in protection system. Either water wasn't flowing fast enough from their hose, or it was super hot water.

In my experience, any modern boat will shut down if it senses an overheating issue. It's a built in protection system. Either water wasn't flowing fast enough from their hose, or it was super hot water.

Thanks, Regal95. There was one other Tahoe that was having the same issue, but they made it through some how.

The guys at the station said it had to be at a certain temperature for a set amount of time. Both times the water got to the temperature and shut the boat down before the required amount of time. .

I think the temperature is supposed to be 140f coming out of your engine, I can't remember the exact time for how long at that temp.

But maybe........ that doesn't mean the preheated water is 140f, it may be much higher and triggering your overtemp alarm and shutdown...and maybe your overtemp sensor is calibrated too low also...meaning the combo of too high temp and too low engine sensor is shutting down your engine. If the water was too high everyone else's engine would shut down too and the NPS should realize their water is too hot to allow the engines to run.

I don't see Gem's implied question being answered i.e.: Why are boats being subjected to decontamination PRIOR to launch? Is this new? Is there some extenuating factor not mentioned here?

I don't see Gem's implied question being answered i.e.: Why are boats being subjected to decontamination PRIOR to launch? Is this new? Is there some extenuating factor not mentioned here?

Decon before launching is not being done at Wahweap or stateline to my knowledge.

The Decon prior to launching is done in Colorado. If I say my boat was last in Powell they put me through the whole process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back