December downlake catching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffinFlag

My go-to fishing machine is bedded for the winter...despite that, I wanted to try my luck at angling once again, this time in search of hungry December fish. I drug my 12' inflatable with it's 15 hp outboard to the lake and launched in near perfect calm and surprisingly warm conditions.

I had hoped to reproduce the catching I've been enjoying all year but more specifically, the late season fish willing to bite close to the Wahweap marina.

I find it a blast to try and find new patterns-or atleast repeat successful patterns from my November trips. Fishing out of my inflatable added a few challenges but added to the excitement too. My ability to travel far from base camp was limited...as the inflatable was only good for about 15 mph at cruise. So, with these limitations I got after it and despite the colder water temp and the smaller boat, I ended up having a wonderful time.

Oh yessss!!! My angling was rewarded once again with powerful, healthy, SMB and LMB (backed up with a few healthy Striper once again from the back of Warm Creek)

I began by simply motoring across the channel from the houseboat: hitting the areas that held fish throughout the fall. To my enjoyment, there were active fish in the shallow shoreline rockfaces' looking for Crawdads in the late morning sun drenched water.
20161212_163930.jpg
I had fewer hookups eachday due to the colder water but my patience was rewarded with hard fighting, high quality fish. Other than meeting up with Wayne briefly in the cut, the lake was free of boat traffic. I boated a half dozen high quality fish each day. Very pleasing. I also was up against the bright full moon phase. Fishing out of the inflatable was surprisingly fun. I could get into the skinny water and see the action up close.
20161213_113407.jpg
The fall patterns still worked well enough...I found the fish up very shallow once again. No Walleye to be found. I took the small boat all the way to the back of Warm Creek to find the schools of Striper once again. The Striper have been willing targets every trip to the back of the canyon over the last few months.

20161212_124428.jpg
20161213_152101.jpg

Attachments

Great report !
Thanks Jeff!!
What fall patterns did you use?
We are launching out of Halls on Tuesday after Christmas. I hope the fish haven't hibernated by then!

Great report !
Thanks Jeff!!
We are launching out of Halls on Tuesday after Christmas. I hope the fish haven't hibernated by then!
Doug, we are hoping to be at Halls about the same time, although we may be leaving from Halls on Tuesday the 29th only to return for the new year. We'll be in a Hallmark truck camper on a Toyota Tundra with a white/black Crestliner in tow. Check with us and we'll let you know what we found in the area.

Great report !
Thanks Jeff!!
We are launching out of Halls on Tuesday after Christmas. I hope the fish haven't hibernated by then![/QUOTE]

For the Brown and Green Bass...
1) Sooo simple for me...Rapala Shad Rap (Jointed) in Green or Brown Craw colors and
2) Gary Yamamoto grubs

For the Striper...
1) They liked the Rapala's and the
2) Bomber Deep Flat A in Silver Flash

Enjoy...

Planning my next trip already! I'm with you, hopefully they don't go into hibernation too soon!

Let us know how you did!

Attachments

• 500-2.jpg
    500-2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 33
Doug, we are hoping to be at Halls about the same time, although we may be leaving from Halls on Tuesday the 29th only to return for the new year. We'll be in a Hallmark truck camper on a Toyota Tundra with a white/black Crestliner in tow. Check with us and we'll let you know what we found in the area.
Hope to see you there Dan.
We have a blue/white Starcraft, grey and white Boatel.

Great report !
Thanks Jeff!!

For the Brown and Green Bass...
1) Sooo simple for me...Rapala Shad Rap (Jointed) in Green or Brown Craw colors and
2) Gary Yamamoto grubs

For the Striper...
1) They liked the Rapala's and the
2) Bomber Deep Flat A in Silver Flash

Enjoy...

Planning my next trip already! I'm with you, hopefully they don't go into hibernation too soon!

Let us know how you did![/QUOTE]
Thanks again Jeff!
Will do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back