Curious LMB Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been fishing Powell for over 20 years and have never seen anything like this..... wondering why the curious behavior?
Sunday afternoon, August 26th about 2pm, 95 plus degrees, full sun, Bullfrog slips.
As we were towing our four carts up to the parking area (very noisy) right at the shore line we noticed seven BEAUTIFUL large mouth cruising casually from side to side under the walk bridge. Sure the bridge portion of the ramp provides some cover but these guys were just short of acting like the Carp at Halls ice cream store.
Being a species that likes to hide, any plausible theories as to why they appeared to be so relaxed?
Thanks, Richard

I have seen similar behavior in ca, just looking for easy targets near shoreline, we call them wolf packs
Where else in Lake Powell have you seen this activity? I have been going since “82” and have never seen them act like that. You find them in brush and hiding behind trees and rocks. Sq

Probably dumped there after a tournament. Brain damage from being in a 80 degree live well, Sq
Nobody has tournaments this time of year, the lake is too busy, it's too hot and the organizations that put put on the tourneys actually care about the health of the fish, especially as it relates too the heat. I have heard gas dock attendees talk about seeing bass cruising around the docks earlier in the year, so I guess it's not all that unusual.

Nobody has tournaments this time of year, the lake is too busy, it's too hot and the organizations that put put on the tourneys actually care about the health of the fish, especially as it relates too the heat. I have heard gas dock attendees talk about seeing bass cruising around the docks earlier in the year, so I guess it's not all that unusual.

Yeah not sure about the 80 degree livewell thing but I agree with the tournament sentiment as I said before. But I do agree with the fact that the tournaments really care about the fish.

But let’s look at just the averages tournament wise, even just for bullfrog there is an average of about 4 tournaments a year. Usually about 40 boats, let’s say even only half have a bag limit each day. That’s 20 boats with 5 fish, 200 fish per tournament (2 day) x4 which is 800. So at a very safe guesstimate at least 800 tournament grade Large and Smallmouth bass are released right at bullfrog EACH year. Not sure about Largies but Smallmouth are very territorial sometimes living their entire life in a single cove (according to Wayne if I remember right).

I guess I am not even really complaining, just stating what our group has thought about a lot. Also I am not too surprised to hear about wolf packs of Largies around the docks. We did catch quite a few really nice Largies this year so I guess I also shouldn’t be complaining. Ha

My guys have had great luck catching good LMB around Bullfrog this year. They attribute it to the tournaments dumping fish. They aren’t really complaining-especially during maintenance weekend when we don’t have time to run up/down lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back