Coyote Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJr

We want to explore the end of Escalante in June this summer. We really want to hike up to Coyote Bridge. Can anyone tell me how far up we can get our jetskis and how far the hike will be from there to Coyote Bridge?

If you look at it on Google earth and measure. it says if you could walk a staight line north then take a left when the wash opens up and walk straight to the arch it's a little over 8 miles.. now with all the twist and turns of the river I'd say double if not triple that... I hope this post get alot of comments this is on my lake Powell bucket list to do also. I've rode horses down to the arch looking for cows but never came up the lake side. my dad and uncle said they tried to go from the arch to the water back in the 80s a few time and they don't think it's possible. I think someone with hiking shoes and a little determination could make the hike over some cow boys so I'm planning to prove them wrong this fall..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200212-143931_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20200212-143931_Maps.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I've been going to Powell for over 30 years now, and I STILL haven't done that hike. Here's the problem with June, though. The water will still be coming up. The end of the Escalante is notoriously choked with debris at that time of the year. Not good for those jet ski engines when you suck a stick into your impeller. Bring some waders and prepare to get muddy. And then definitely share pics of your adventure!

Tiff

Does anyone have any pictures of this wondrous sight? Now I want to attempt this. I am more inclined to do so in receding water, more like early fall. Either way you need to be mindful of the regional weather when you make the attempt.

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like it may be too long a hike for us rookies, and I don't like the idea of leaving the jetskis overnight either. I googled Coyote National Bridge and the pictures are awesome.... some day!!

I’ve hiked to the Escalante River down Coyote Gulch via Hurricanes Wash from Hole in the Rock Road. That’s about 13 miles each way, and call it 11 to Coyote Bridge. A fantastic backpack trip. You’d also see Jacob Hamblin Arch along the way, which is even more impressive.

From the lake,you won’t get any farther than Explorer Canyon (10 miles from the mouth of the Escalante) before you have to walk. As others pointed out, the challenge will be getting past logs and mud where the lake ends. From there it’s about 8 miles or so to the mouth of Coyote Gulch, then another 2 to get up to Coyote Bridge.

I would love to try this someday, but it’s not a casual walk in the park...but worth it I’m sure!!

I’ve hiked to the Escalante River down Coyote Gulch via Hurricanes Wash from Hole in the Rock Road. That’s about 13 miles each way, and call it 11 to Coyote Bridge. A fantastic backpack trip. You’d also see Jacob Hamblin Arch along the way, which is even more impressive.

From the lake,you won’t get any farther than Explorer Canyon (10 miles from the mouth of the Escalante) before you have to walk. As others pointed out, the challenge will be getting past logs and mud where the lake ends. From there it’s about 8 miles or so to the mouth of Coyote Gulch, then another 2 to get up to Coyote Bridge.

I would love to try this someday, but it’s not a casual walk in the park...but worth it I’m sure!!
I’ve done that plus a little bit adding boat and truck. The biggest part was the “orchestration” to make it all happen with about 20 boys and various modes of transportation.

Hurricane Wash, Coyote Gulch, Escalante River to Lake Powell, a few days boat camping, then on by boat to Hole-in-the-Rock, up to a waiting truck and back to Hurricane Wash. A “loop”. It was epic. The “boys” still talk about it 20 years later whenever I see one of them 😀

I’ve done that plus a little bit adding boat and truck. The biggest part was the “orchestration” to make it all happen with about 20 boys and various modes of transportation.

Hurricane Wash, Coyote Gulch, Escalante River to Lake Powell, a few days boat camping, then on by boat to Hole-in-the-Rock, up to a waiting truck and back to Hurricane Wash. A “loop”. It was epic. The “boys” still talk about it 20 years later whenever I see one of them 😀
That sounds fantastic...those guys are lucky!

Just curious as I don't hike anymore How do you play with flash floods doing this? I'd be concerned.

Need to know your terrain as best you can and check weather forecasts. Fortunately with internet resources, both are relatively easy to retrieve.

Coyote Gulch is not a "slot canyon" per se. You still need to pay attention to the weather forecasts and take the normal precautions. But there is NO WAY you'd get an unexpected rise of 20 feet of torrential flood in Coyote Gulch. I'd think 5' would be a 500 year flood. And there are plenty of places to get "up and out" of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back