Corn and Stripers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Vaughan

We have used corn for catfish and carp when fishing on the bottom. How are y'all using corn for Stripers? Are you chumming and then casting out 20 yards or so and letting it sink until under the boat, like you do with anchovies?
I appreciate the feedback. Otherwise, I'll try it tomorrow in the South lake (unless we find some boils) and report back. Save some shad!
Thanks,
Larry Vaughan

Not sure, but is it legal to chum with corn in Utah? Somehow I got the idea you can use corn for bait on some bodies of water, but it is illegal to chum with corn? Not sure, can someone that knows the law inform us what is legal and what is not.

I think you'll end up catching Carp by using corn on Powell. Anytime I heat up corn for dinner, and there are leftovers, I will save it until morning, and dump it right near the boat in the lake. It has never taken more than 10 minutes for the Carp to find it :cool:

It is legal to use corn for bait in Lake Powell. Here is the rule:

Using corn as bait In 2016, the Division surveyed anglers about potential regulations, and approximately 70 percent of participants supported the use of corn as a legal bait. Because of this widespread support, the Division is launching a two-year pilot study in 2017 that allows the use of corn as bait at the following waterbodies: •Cutler Reservoir •Deer Creek Reservoir •Electric Lake •Fish Lake •Flaming Gorge •Lake Powell •Stateline Reservoir •Utah Lake Corn is an effective bait for kokanee salmon and is legal in all the surrounding states. Studies have shown that it has no harmful effects on fish or their digestive processes. Although you may now use corn at the waterbodies listed above, you must still follow Utah’s other laws that regulate chumming and littering. Throughout the pilot study, Division biologists and law enforcement officers will be monitoring these areas closely to see if the use of corn should be expanded or discontinued.

It is also legal to chum in Lake Powell. Give it a test and then report back to see if corn is helpful in catching fish at the lake.

No chance to try it out this past weekend on the open water. I did try a little corn in the slip, but no luck on either corn or anchovies last night.

We were at the dam last night. I was hoping to get the Stripers started with anchovies, then try the corn, but they never started. We caught two Stripers in about an hour of fishing. Still no good test on the corn...
Larry Vaughan

We had a bunch of Stripers around the hull light off the back of the houseboat last night chasing shad. The Stripers ignored any corn in the water.

Stripers favorite food is shad. If shad are available nothing else matters. Corn, anchovies and other baits are a distant second choice this time of year. These results change in the spring time before shad have spawned. For now the best striper bait is shad all day and all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back