Contact from Owner on new mussel Stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Mussel Stopper is a new US EPA labeled control for Quagga mussels. It is approved in AZ, NV and UT. It has been tested 2 years in Lake Mead and now is in testing at Lake Powell. It is available from Ticaboo on Lake Service in Ticaboo and Ted’s Marine in Page.

Mussel Stopper is non-toxic and can be applied UNDERWATER.

Check it out at www.musselstopper.com.

Steve Beckham

941-928-3960

We plan to try it this year. The mussels were not as bad as we feared from wintering on 5he buoy, but they are there. Our partners plan to dive and scrape the outdrives and intakes, then apply Mussel Stopper. May try their more comprehensive solution in the spring

Ticaboo Dan said he’s used it on a couple of boats in 5he slips and feels like it helps

I just sent a message to the manufacturer regarding becoming a retailer for this in my shop. Hope to be able to offer it out of Hanksville at a comparable price pretty soon. Would love to hear if it really works from another source other than the manufacturer.

FYI,,,We ran into the guy that makes it as he was trying to get stores/marinas to sell it in the Ticaboo area a year ago. He told us about it and the testing they had done with good results and that it was approved for use. So we bought some from him and applied it just before launching Cals Houseboat, ( we did not have time to cover all areas as we got it just before scheduled put in) We put it along the weld seams on both pontoons ( those were areas that had high muscle counts noticed on previous pullouts) and around the outboard motor water intakes. You could see it was still on the pontoons and motors after being in the water from April until we pulled it out at the end of October. It appeared there were less mussels attached in those areas we applied it, but it was not completely clear of them.

We think it did make a difference, but mussels seemed to be less in untreated areas as well. I think it is worth using at this point, we plan to reapply it in more areas before launching this spring. The active ingredient is Capsaicin. We had read before that it has been proven to be a deterrent to muscles and barnacles. This manufacturer is the first to get it approved and figure out a way to effectively apply it.

Dan from Ticaboo on Lake Svc is applying for us before while still in dry storage. I can provide a result report at the end of the season when we pull out of the water. Anyone else who has the application maybe should post as well?

Our boats on the south end of the lake for service and they told us that the Park Service hasn’t approved it so they can’t apply it. I’d love to figure out how to try it

Our boats on the south end of the lake for service and they told us that the Park Service hasn’t approved it so they can’t apply it. I’d love to figure out how to try it
Ticaboo applied it to our boat at the beginning of last year. And it had much less mussels visible than the other boats nearby. I'd say it works, at least to some degree.

We have been using this product since last year and we have seen positive results. I also found that boats that were out of the water in the spring and then pulled in Oct or Nov had less mussels on them. Our thought is they are less active with the movement we have and warmer water temps but... those we just pulled this spring had the same amounts as last year. Here are a few pictures of our boat of the drives and the gen and lake water pickups, you can see there are much less on these areas. We apply it melted out of the water and it can also be applied in the water, with the bar and rubbed on cleaned areas like waxing a surfboard, we re applied during the summer to give additional protection.
So far, so good and better than any other product we have seen or used0315191328b_resized.jpg0315191328b_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 0315191329_resized.jpg
    0315191329_resized.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 0315191149a_resized.jpg
    0315191149a_resized.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 0315191328_resized.jpg
    0315191328_resized.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 185
Waynes Post above says it is approved for Utah, If I am not mistaken the Owner who makes it told us it was approved for use by park service????

We bought a small Ryobi pressure washer. It works great for removing the mussels from the engines. We had to use a short hose, because the washer sucked the hose flat, which would cause the washer to surge on and off. Once we changed hoses, we were fine. We were running off of the Shuffle pump, which has limited capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back