Coming down next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtahUtesFamily

My family will be coming down next week for a week of fishing and recreation. We will be hard to miss with our rented house boat, two fishing boats, and a floating island. I am getting ready to refresh my tackle box. We will be fishing from shore and trolling the various canyons and bays on the north end. Any recommendations on lures to buy? Any specific bait I need to get that the fish are biting?

Watch for a report next weekend!

Hope to see you on the lake!

Bluegill will eat live worms on a small hook under your houseboat.

Smallmouth like green senkos (4 inch) on a lead head jig or wacky rigged.

Stripers really liked the new Live Target , Threadfin Shad crankbait, in silver bronze color (2 inch)

Also bait on a jig head.

Walleye like worms near the bottom. You can also troll for them with Rapala Shad Dancers in live bluegill color.

These are lures that have worked well in the past 2 weeks.

Try Yamamoto's Shad Shaped Worm on a drop shot rig for smallmouth! They just gobble up that bait on Lake Powell. The best colors are the watermelon/white laminate and natural shad which is sort of a translucent gray. Also try wacky rigging 3 and 4-inch slim Senkos on a drop shot setup as well. Either of these lures fished in this manner will catch tons of smallmouth right now. :)

Ed Gerdemann

Try Yamamoto's Shad Shaped Worm on a drop shot rig for smallmouth! They just gobble up that bait on Lake Powell. The best colors are the watermelon/white laminate and natural shad which is sort of a translucent gray. Also try wacky rigging 3 and 4-inch slim Senkos on a drop shot setup as well. Either of these lures fished in this manner will catch tons of smallmouth right now. :)

Ed Gerdemann
Thx Ed always enjoy the tips!! Any report on mud line above Hall's??? Going down Sat - Friday and debating North/South??? See uall there!!?? Look for Miss My Money - wht/blue 36 ft fiberglass trihull.

Chris Crosby reports water clarity to be only a few inches upstream from Red Canyon, 2-3 feet in Ticaboo while Blue Notch had over 6 feet visibility. Good Hope Bay is fishable despite the high runoff. In the northern lake you can find fishable water in the backs of canyons despite muddy water in the channel. Bullfrog is good as is the water water clarity downstream.

I struggled yesterday in finding bluegill for a study in the southern lake because there was too much brush in the water. Blue gill habitat was everywhere. Now I have to find a new pattern not brush dependent or take a houseboat and let the bluegill shade up under that. :)

Chris Crosby reports water clarity to be only a few inches upstream from Red Canyon, 2-3 feet in Ticaboo while Blue Notch had over 6 feet visibility. Good Hope Bay is fishable despite the high runoff. In the northern lake you can find fishable water in the backs of canyons despite muddy water in the channel. Bullfrog is good as is the water water clarity downstream.

I struggled yesterday in finding bluegill for a study in the southern lake because there was too much brush in the water. Blue gill habitat was everywhere. Now I have to find a new pattern not brush dependent or take a houseboat and let the bluegill shade up under that. :)
Thx again for u're prompt help!!! we will decide there and let u know. I prefer up as many more people usually down!!o_O

Wayne:

Here's a sure way to find bluegill when they are up in shallow water. String up a fly rod (if you own such a thing) and put a strike indicator on your leader. Tie on a small Hildebrandt spinner with a small hook. Don't use any split shot or other type of weight. Bait the hook with a live cricket if you can find them. If not, use a small worm. Just pitch it out near the brush and let the spinner flutter down. Any bluegill within 15-20 feet will absolutely attack it. I caught hundreds and hundreds of bluegills and red ears back in Missouri with this method. It really works if they are up in shallow water. :)

Ed Gerdemann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back