Comin in Hot Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyt

Made it to the lake by noon on Friday. One new battery later we were on our way. The purpose of the trip was to scout places for the houseboat for our early May trip. Of course, fishing was on the menu. The water was super clear and my crappie holes were high and dry. Water temp was 55 to 60. Tried trolling in the back of some canyons and came up with zip. We decided to try our luck bass fishing throwing senkos and crawdads. We caught some beautiful smallmouth. Throwing into shallows that had deep water access. Spent the night in Dove Canyon and caught 2 in the cold early morning. We headed to the back of West canyon thinking it would have the warmest water. It was 58 degrees by 10 am. We caught some more big ones in West. Cleaned the fish. Headed in and had breakfast on the beach, spam sandwiches and went to Friendship. The conditions were perfect and we caught no fish there. Headed back to houseboat to spend the night (warmer). Caught some more by Gregory Butte on both sides. We tried the flats between the bathroom and Padre Butte and caught 2 more beauties. Headed in for a fish fry. We found out Saturday afternoon that the launch ramps were closing on Sunday night. So much for my 16th Annual Man Trip in May. Tried some spots around Wahweap Marina on Sunday and only caught one. Loaded the boat and headed back to Mesquite. We kept 22 or so smallies and threw the largemouth back. Only 2 of those back in West Canyon. I will post pictures as soon as I figure it out.

20200404_173925.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg
jpeg-imag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it to the lake by noon on Friday. One new battery later we were on our way. The purpose of the trip was to scout places for the houseboat for our early May trip. Of course, fishing was on the menu. The water was super clear and my crappie holes were high and dry. Water temp was 55 to 60. Tried trolling in the back of some canyons and came up with zip. We decided to try our luck bass fishing throwing senkos and crawdads. We caught some beautiful smallmouth. Throwing into shallows that had deep water access. Spent the night in Dove Canyon and caught 2 in the cold early morning. We headed to the back of West canyon thinking it would have the warmest water. It was 58 degrees by 10 am. We caught some more big ones in West. Cleaned the fish. Headed in and had breakfast on the beach, spam sandwiches and went to Friendship. The conditions were perfect and we caught no fish there. Headed back to houseboat to spend the night (warmer). Caught some more by Gregory Butte on both sides. We tried the flats between the bathroom and Padre Butte and caught 2 more beauties. Headed in for a fish fry. We found out Saturday afternoon that the launch ramps were closing on Sunday night. So much for my 16th Annual Man Trip in May. Tried some spots around Wahweap Marina on Sunday and only caught one. Loaded the boat and headed back to Mesquite. We kept 22 or so smallies and threw the largemouth back. Only 2 of those back in West Canyon. I will post pictures as soon as I figure it out.
You can email the pictures to me and I will post them if that makes it easier. We really want to see your fish pictures during these tough times. Thanks for your report. Large and smallmouth fishing is taking off. Best bait and technique seems to be the slow Ned rig in 15-20 feet of water. Lots of smallmouth caught over the weekend. Stripers slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back