Cold front fishing next week ?

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Fishing' started by jekern1015, Sep 13, 2017.

1. jekern1015

jekern1015 Member

What will the fishing be like next week after cold front drops temps down to low to mid 70's next week. We are planning a trip down on Wednesday but weren't planning on the big temp. drop. We plan on launching from Bullfrog but would be willing to head to Wahweap. Will we still be looking for boils or will we be looking for schools deep and trying spoons. Thanks

2. Squirrel

Squirrel Well-Known Member

I am also interested in the same information? I will be camping at Stanton for a week. 9/20 - 9/28. Sq

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. Steve Moore

Steve Moore Well-Known Member

Same here headed down Saturday

4. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

Spoon fishing will be AWESOME with boils slightly less but the temperature drop actually brings more stripers and bass into the equation. Larger stripers now holding in deep water can boil at cooler temperatures. Preferred water temp for adults is mid 60's to 70s so a air temp drop to 70 is beneficial. No worries with temp - wind is another story.

Bill Sampson likes this.
  5. GregC

GregC Well-Known Member

Me too! North end the 18th thru the 29th. "Patriots Dream" on 16 and 68 (unless I'm moored ashore, at night, or just hard of listening!) See you there!
    GregC
    ps...Wayne, How long does it have to be cooler before the water temp cools enough to make a difference depth-wise???

Bill Sampson likes this.
  6. wayne gustaveson

At least two weeks and it could be as long as a month due to the thick layer of warm water now covering the lake. The amount of wind that stirs the warm and cold water is a big factor as well.

Bill Sampson, Ryan and GregC like this.
  7. GregC

GregC Well-Known Member

:)

8. Lance Cue

Lance Cue Well-Known Member

So my end of the month trip sounds good!

9. Squirrel

Greg, I will look you up on the North end, I know where you & Nan hide. Probably Fri. or Sat. Sq

10. SDPJ

SDPJ Active Member

It will be good. You'll do great

11. GregC

GregC Well-Known Member

I'll keep an eye out for ya. We're headed for White eventually but may stop in the Scorup area first, unless we're attacked by rampaging boils! See ya there!

Bill Sampson likes this.
  12. Steve Moore

Will be down on the Hooligan Too starting tomorrow. Will probably be there till Friday. Back again Oct 6-10. My favorite time of the season.

13. Squirrel

I will stop by on Thursday to meet you. The last time the Hooligan Too was about mid field, at BF, correct?? Sq

Steve Moore likes this.
  14. Steve Moore

We are now in the slip. North side on H dock. Very end slip. Easy to see us.

Bill Sampson likes this.
  15. fishmaster J

fishmaster J Member

Does anyone have a preference on color of spoons they might use for this time of year ? I would like to try to catch more walleye this trip I don't have a boat :( so im kind of limited ill be at bullfrog towards the end of the month tips on colors would help anyone know what color the crawdads are? Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 12:55 AM
  16. Squirrel

Thanks for the update. Sq

ColoradoStriperKiller likes this.
  17. wayne gustaveson

Color is not as important as being in the right place and time which means fishing in an actively feeding school. I use a white background with blue on the sides; silver is good such as a kastmaster; Real image from Cabelas is good in white; war eagle is blue and works well.

Here is a picture of a Dave Wallace wally lure

spooncolor.jpg

fishmaster J likes this.
  18. fishmaster J

fishmaster J Member