Cleaning hard water spots off our boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

K&M

We have a 2015 Crestliner FishHawk (which by the way we love, so stable in Lake Powell chop, among other things!) My question is, I want to clean the hard water spots off of it. I have tried Youtube to find out more, but our boat, (and I wonder if Preston's boat is the same?) doesn't really have paint on it, but maybe a plastic of of some kind (the blue and red colors, anyway. Maybe the grey part is paint.) So it does not respond to cleaners the same as painted aluminum. If I can get to it, using HotSauce really does help, but I cannot always clean it after every use. Any suggestions as to how to clean it? I have tried contacting Crestliner, who told me how to clean road dirt off of it and suggested I contact my dealer, which I did and they told me to call Crestliner...

Probably the same boat... I actually took off the sticker pattern that came with the boat (no reason other than my preference on how it looked). The only stickers left are the Crestliner lettering on either side. The advice I received here was to use water bottle sprayer, use about 25% white vinegar and 75% water. Spray that on and wipe it off, it has worked really well! Very cheap and effective! It works so well that it actually allows me to be lazy and not even do it after each trip (which I should). It works on everything, the trolling motor, outboard, stickers, etc etc.. I need to wax it more as well but other than that I don't do anything else, but then again I'm not too picky. If the boat gets me to Good Hope then I'm content.

Preston

Vinegar and water is very effective at removing hard water spots. Unfortunately, it is equally as adept at removing wax. Which is why we stopped using it.

On my Malibu, I use Hot Sauce as soon as the boat comes out of the water. It is good enough that it will even remove the stains from Powell. And, unlike vinegar, it has no effect on the wax on your boat. I like it so well that I actually bought a 5 gallon container.

For my Lund, I have used their Toon Sauce a few times. I haven't had as much experience as the Hot Sauce, but from what I have seen, it works very well.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/boat-bl...1P7TxN3DADL7IMrtN0BV0nh1pwO2wf-BoCKKQQAvD_BwE

Probably the same boat... I actually took off the sticker pattern that came with the boat (no reason other than my preference on how it looked). The only stickers left are the Crestliner lettering on either side. The advice I received here was to use water bottle sprayer, use about 25% white vinegar and 75% water. Spray that on and wipe it off, it has worked really well! Very cheap and effective! It works so well that it actually allows me to be lazy and not even do it after each trip (which I should). It works on everything, the trolling motor, outboard, stickers, etc etc.. I need to wax it more as well but other than that I don't do anything else, but then again I'm not too picky. If the boat gets me to Good Hope then I'm content.

Preston
This is what I use also...works well.

I have a black boat, so spots are always a concern for me. Remember: water spots are the result of deposits left behind from evaporated water. The longer they sit, the "harder" they become. Those deposits were dissolved at one point, and can be dissolved again. But the longer they sit (and "set") the harder they become to re-dissolve and remove -- so immediate removal is recommended. With that in mind:

A. I always get a towel wet with lake water before I pull the boat onto the trailer. After trailering, I wipe the boat down with the wet towel followed immediately behind by a dry towel.
B. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar solution, like others have mentioned.
C. I try to have a fresh green salad ready to eat while I spray vinegar all over my boat.

I have a black boat, so spots are always a concern for me. Remember: water spots are the result of deposits left behind from evaporated water. The longer they sit, the "harder" they become. Those deposits were dissolved at one point, and can be dissolved again. But the longer they sit (and "set") the harder they become to re-dissolve and remove -- so immediate removal is recommended. With that in mind:

A. I always get a towel wet with lake water before I pull the boat onto the trailer. After trailering, I wipe the boat down with the wet towel followed immediately behind by a dry towel.
B. I keep a spray bottle of vinegar solution, like others have mentioned.
C. I try to have a fresh green salad ready to eat while I spray vinegar all over my boat.
This has always been my rutine , it's alot easier to keep it looking nice by wiping it down while it's still wet. My Stratos still shined like new after 21yrs when I sold it. I have a bucket of rags in the back hatch just for that .

Vinegar and water is very effective at removing hard water spots. Unfortunately, it is equally as adept at removing wax. Which is why we stopped using it.

On my Malibu, I use Hot Sauce as soon as the boat comes out of the water. It is good enough that it will even remove the stains from Powell. And, unlike vinegar, it has no effect on the wax on your boat. I like it so well that I actually bought a 5 gallon container.

For my Lund, I have used their Toon Sauce a few times. I haven't had as much experience as the Hot Sauce, but from what I have seen, it works very well.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/boat-bl...1P7TxN3DADL7IMrtN0BV0nh1pwO2wf-BoCKKQQAvD_BwE
the idea that vinegar removes wax has been debated on other forums, I'm not a chemist but some people that claim to be allot smarter than me have spoken out, vinegar does not remove wax. Ph needs to be more along the alkaline side of things to remove wax?I use the vinegar at 100% no need to dilute it. My Powell routine is to clean up when I get home, wet the hull and motor with vinegar, follow up with bucket of turtle wax liquid wash and wax , rinse off and dry. done! boat shines like new and Black motor is spot free. I know one guy on walleye central really pushed the idea that vinegar strips wax, he also sold high dollar super duper boat cleaner.

Last edited:
@bobco

A quick web search sure supports the idea that vinegar will remove wax.

http://guidetodetailing.com/damage-repair/how-to-remove-water-spots/

Point 2 on this one is very clear.
https://www.networx.com/article/8-ways-not-to-use-vinegar

2. You should never use vinegar on waxed surfaces. The vinegar will only strip the wax off, dulling the sheen on your nicely shined car. However, vinegar is a great option if you’re looking to remove an old coat of wax before you put down a fresh layer of polish.

I could post a ton of other links as well.

Do your own trial. Wax your boat. Use vinegar on one spot, not on others. Then test it with water and see if it beads up the same that the non-vinegar portion does.

I am pretty confident on this one.

Preston
I agree on the vinegar and water.

Ryan I can find just as many other quotes saying vinegar does not remove wax, challenge excepted though will wax up a spot good they hit it with vinegar and see if bead is gone. myth busters lake powell addition!

I am not sure I trust your methodology or your reporting. Can we do this together? Up in GHB? When is your next trip?

(For the record, I know it doesn't bead as well on fiberglass)

Duckie works awesome.

I dont waste a lot of time wiping down my boat, some years it is only done at the end of the season. Duckie makes it look like new in just one or two coats. Expensive but gets the job done pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back