Chatterbait at Powell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Allan

Hello All!
It seems that cabin fever has gotten the best of me as I have been doing alot of on line research this winter. Now that spring is here and warming up I'm headed for Powell early April.
My question to all is whether or not anyone has used a chatterbait at Powell, and if so, what has been your success with it. Where have you had best results, etc., etc.? From what I have read this lure does well in grass, which Powell has none to little of.
Your thoughts and input are welcome.
Regards,
Ty

In one of these last tournaments this spring I know a guy was using one almost exclusively and doing well. Hopefully someone can speak to a lot more experience with one as well, I only have a couple of them and last year was the first year I tried one period let alone at Powell. Caught a couple nice Smallies on one but only used it a little bit. I’d imagine they are useful and would have almost the same aplications as a spinnerbait, which is probably the lure I also have the least amount of experience with.

So... yes they’ve worked for me in the little time I’ve used them at Powell, I have only used them in shallower pocket areas. I hope to get more experience with them but at the moment it’s probably no higher than fifth on which lure I’d use first at Powell. Hopefully someone with a lot more experience with them replies, I am very curious as well.

Preston

Last edited:
My buddy Ted, with Marty in the background lol. I am fair.y new to the spin cast world but I have been trying hard to work with something different every time I fish at the lake. Last year I bought a few chatterbaits and buzz baits to try. I have always been a chartreuse guy so a few in that color and a few in white. We fished them till they were gone, and thy fished well. It took some snooping around, and this is very limited knowledge, but here is what I have found: best success was to cast into shore, looking for less then 10 ft. Of water with a rocky bottom. Big rocks =better. The lake was also rising so we had some grasses in the water that had been covered up. Water was clear, don’t remember the temp. Green was better than white by a little. We varied the retrieve, sometimes letting it sink a bit in the deeper water. Biggest fish were in 10-12 feet with big boulders. More fish along those rocky shores with grass but not as big. Largemouth and smallmouth with an occasional skinny striper. I will bring more this year, it was fun, different and productive.

TRD50BA797-CF93-408D-B89F-4824C7BA1849.jpeg

My buddy Ted, with Marty in the background lol. I am fair.y new to the spin cast world but I have been trying hard to work with something different every time I fish at the lake. Last year I bought a few chatterbaits and buzz baits to try. I have always been a chartreuse guy so a few in that color and a few in white. We fished them till they were gone, and thy fished well. It took some snooping around, and this is very limited knowledge, but here is what I have found: best success was to cast into shore, looking for less then 10 ft. Of water with a rocky bottom. Big rocks =better. The lake was also rising so we had some grasses in the water that had been covered up. Water was clear, don’t remember the temp. Green was better than white by a little. We varied the retrieve, sometimes letting it sink a bit in the deeper water. Biggest fish were in 10-12 feet with big boulders. More fish along those rocky shores with grass but not as big. Largemouth and smallmouth with an occasional skinny striper. I will bring more this year, it was fun, different and productive.

TRView attachment 1838

I am impressed with the learning curve. TR with a spinning rod. Who would have thought? Keep it up. You are a great angler with a lot more weapons now.

it looks a spinner bait with a who0cie attached ,Whoocies are used in mexico for trolling for dorado I have many all different colors

it looks a spinner bait with a who0cie attached ,Whoocies are used in mexico for trolling for dorado I have many all different colors
upload_2018-3-22_15-35-42.jpeg This is the chatterbait that I'm asking about. Spinner baits have worked great for us in the past at Powell. Anyone used one of these?

Id imagine even walleye would love a chatterbait slow rolled along a bank mudline.

View attachment 1841 This is the chatterbait that I'm asking about. Spinner baits have worked great for us in the past at Powell. Anyone used one of these?
Yes, in white. Caught fish as described. I had a hard time figuring out which way the Chatterbait part went. Could put a tail on as well, bring extras. Might check the instructions....I believe it says not to put in a tray with other plastics....
TR

Will be using something very similar and was thinking about a trailer. Never heard of a skinny dipper so will look into that. Was thinking about putting a single tail grub om a spinner bait trailer hook just for the heck of it. Will be fishing super green water way up the San Juan and want to create some excitement for the LMB and smallies so am thinking more visibility and action may work. So fun to catch fish on buzz and spinner baits but have never used chatterbait so once again this forum coaxes me to spend more money. Well worth being prepared. Chartruese is my go to color as well but will try dark colors as well

Reactions: TR.
This is it in white, my favorite color
372cb9ef-5483-4827-953f-99b1c2a61e2a_1.cd09b3b4e22f03c8e3a0c8c08dfd19c6.jpeg

Do you fish the white skinny dipper in both clear and stained waters? A single tail grub works well as a trailer too. I like the green pumpkin colors. They are my go to color. Maybe I should try some white colors too!

TR said it but it's worth repeating...Z-man products use a plastic called elaztek (not sure about the spelling). Very stretchy and stays on the hook really well, but doesn't get along with other plastics. If stored with Yamamoto and other like plastics it will make them melt and stick together like you left a bunch of gummi worms out on the dash of your car. STORE IN SEPARATE BAGS!!
GregC

I fish the skinny dipper by itself or on my blade baits. White is the only color I own. All other plastics are Green Pumkin the only other color I throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back