Castle Rock Cut - Any way to anticipate depth Oct 5-9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

My wife and I are heading to Powell for her Fall Break Oct 5-9. I’m trying to determine if we should park our RV at Wahweap (beautiful views) or in Page (no views, but certainly more convenient).

The deciding factor is whether or not we’ll be able to use the Castle Rock Cut safely in darkness (for early morning fishing!).

Is anyone here confident enough on the hydrology trend to give a reliable estimate of cut-through depth these dates?

Thanks.

Average for the last two weeks is a -0.17 change per day. That times 14 puts elevation at 3591.

Thanks Dungee! (Great vids by the way).

You answered my question exactly.

Except I forgot to ask at what depth it becomes unsafe.

This is just our second year on Powell, and I truly never want to find out what happens when you plow an out-drive into submerged rock at speed... ;)

Yeah someone else will need to chime in, never been through the cut so I have zero experience with that.

I've been through it at 8 feet deep (according to depth finder) which I'm assuming is actually about 10 feet. My depth showed 11.5 to 12 feet most of the way through it this weekend. Average of 1 foot of drop a week currently, I think you're fine. But just trim up a bit, and take it SLOW. Definitely stay towards the green buoy's entering and leaving each end. :cool:

I 'd guess with a 20ft to 24 ft runabout or ski boat you're safe in 3ft of water at an idle. When in doubt trim it out. The best way to now how deep it sits in the water is to measure the bathtub ring on the stern with the motor down, measure from the bottom of the skeg to the bathtub ring. Good luck getting a ring on the boat at Powell in that clear water though.

My 2 cents is I would not try it in the dark. The cut itself will be plenty deep, but as I've written recently, the entry and exit is tricky. Doable, especially if you've gone through already during the daylight hours and know your safe course, but as a first time through for the weekend, to do it in the dark would be too risky for me.

Last edited:
I came through it yesterday at 9:30am and it was 11.2 to 11.5 feet the entire length. The trick is to enter and exit right next to the middle wakeless buoys. The NPS has installed a buoy at each end inside the wakeless buoys saying "proceed at your own risk". They placed them so they all but interfere with the flow of traffic but you can't miss them....sometimes you gotta wonder about their thinking??!! Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Wayne also indicated the cut-through would be safely navigable well into October if not beyond.

I came through it yesterday at 9:30am and it was 11.2 to 11.5 feet the entire length. The trick is to enter and exit right next to the middle wakeless buoys. The NPS has installed a buoy at each end inside the wakeless buoys saying "proceed at your own risk". They placed them so they all but interfere with the flow of traffic but you can't miss them....sometimes you gotta wonder about their thinking??!! Chuck

I would figure the cut to be good through the first third of October. After that not so sure. But after November 5th dry portage through the cut.

There are 4 weeks left in October with 10 feet of water in the cut. The lake has been going down about a foot per week. So at the end of October there should be 4-6 feet of water in the Cut. If we get more rain it might be more. Then it goes down 3 feet on November 5th and the Cut will no longer be passable.

My wife and I are heading to Powell for her Fall Break Oct 5-9. I’m trying to determine if we should park our RV at Wahweap (beautiful views) or in Page (no views, but certainly more convenient).

The deciding factor is whether or not we’ll be able to use the Castle Rock Cut safely in darkness (for early morning fishing!).

Is anyone here confident enough on the hydrology trend to give a reliable estimate of cut-through depth these dates?

Thanks.
I was there on 9/27 and the cut was down to 10 - 11 ft on our way back in with the HB but from what I hear it has come up a bit with last weeks rain to maybe 12 ft or so which is what is was when we went out . It should be fine until the big release in early November per Waynes report .

Just got back Sunday October 7. Depth through the cut was still 11-12'. We were in our houseboat and didn't have any problems...not even close. Not sure how much of a difference all the rain made, but every little bit helps.

I went htrough the Cut several times I think 4 years ago. It was around 10 ft deep. The worst part of dealing with the cut is the freekin houseboats coming the other way. Gets real tight especially with wind and/or inept H-boat captains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back