Canyon Hosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I saw this on Instagram, and feel like this post was supposed to be on 4/1 and not today.

Is this a real thing?

As much as I love Powell, I can see some downsides that take this out of the too good to be true category. That's a long time at the lake in the summer. Maybe I experience Powell too intensely, but I hit the point of diminishing returns at about a week or even a little before that. We joke in our family that you could have a contest in which first prize would be five days at Powell and second prize would be 10 days at Powell.

If I were going to spend months, I would need to make a plan to avoid the sun and heat and make the experience less intense. Maybe a midday nap and fishing, hiking, a ski ride, or swimming at dusk and dawn rather than go go go all day. I would surely want to be based out of the south end of the lake so that the Dock 'n' stock wouldn't be my only close option for groceries. Maybe take a cruiser to overnight on the lake and see it all Stan Jones style.

We do a lot of camping and in general I find camp hosts generally helpful. There are the exceptions of course, but generally the camp grounds with good hosts tend to be more enjoyable.

I hope they do a trial year in select canyons that tend to be more crowded. I can see where keeping track of usage may help minimize boaters that leave trash. It also may help diffuse voloitale situations between campers.

I do wonder how water and pump out for the host’s vessels will be handled. Will the NPS have a service boat that I’ll provide the service?

I certainly hope they leave some of the more remote canyons alone so those that want to put in the effort (and fuel) can get some isolation, if possible.

As much as I love Powell, I can see some downsides that take this out of the too good to be true category. That's a long time at the lake in the summer. Maybe I experience Powell too intensely, but I hit the point of diminishing returns at about a week or even a little before that. We joke in our family that you could have a contest in which first prize would be five days at Powell and second prize would be 10 days at Powell.

If I were going to spend months, I would need to make a plan to avoid the sun and heat and make the experience less intense. Maybe a midday nap and fishing, hiking, a ski ride, or swimming at dusk and dawn rather than go go go all day. I would surely want to be based out of the south end of the lake so that the Dock 'n' stock wouldn't be my only close option for groceries. Maybe take a cruiser to overnight on the lake and see it all Stan Jones style.
Sorry- I think the boobie prize is 5 days. We’ve done 10 days (up from the 7 with a shared owner boat) for over 5 years now and can’t imagine ONLY having 7 days...5 sounds like punishment. My personal goal is to go for 15 and adjust Up. (Or down) from there

Sorry @Endurance, name doesn’t check out.
Now THAT is funny!

And Powell Bride, your getting married at Powell already made you my hero. Now I know you're also a legend!

Maybe I will take your inspiration and try a longer trip and attempt to not hit it so hard from dawn until well into the night all the time. I might have fun on a longer trip if I take some time to stop and smell the sandstone!

Last edited:
Now THAT is funny!

And Powell Bride, your getting married at Powell already made you my hero. Now I know you're also a legend!

Maybe I will take your inspiration and try a longer trip and attempt to not hit it so hard from dawn until well into the night all the time. I might have fun on a longer trip if I take some time to stop and smell the sandstone!
Smell the sandstone and the air conditioning in the summer

Smell the sandstone and the air conditioning in the summer
Yeah, I do look like heck for a bit of shade in the summer, although I am usually on the water before sunup and not back till sundown. Beach camping has it’s drawbacks. So, back on track, you have to provide your own houseboat....so tell me what the benefits are to this position?

TR

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I do look like heck for a bit of shade in the summer, although I am usually on the water before sunup and not back till sundown. Beach camping has it’s drawbacks. So, back on track, you have to provide your own houseboat....so tell me what the benefits are to this position?

TR
You get to be on the lake for more than 14 consecutive days? They waive the admittance fee for you? Really a different version of volunteer work if you're retired?

I applied. I don’t have a houseboat but have set my 21’ Seaswirl Striper up to function well as a multi-day ‘camper’. I’m a teacher and so I have summers free. I received a confirmation email telling me my email/application had been received. The email stated they would try to make contact in regards to my application within the next ten days. It also provided the program manager’s contact email.

If I did take part in the opportunity, I would hope that it would be about being a steward to Lake Powell. I’d hope to encourage life jacket use, do some cleaning of beaches, keep an eye out for tom foolery (with no interest in doing anything but passing info on to those in charge), do any user counts needed and be generally helpful to those who might need help.

We’ll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back