Can the Powell grand slam be caught on a single bait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatwagon

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
replace5.png
Yes it can, I fished the south end from 5/4 thru 5/8 and fished the whole time with this 4 in grub on a 3/8 oz jig and completed the grand slam on Monday afternoon . I did foul hook the blue gill next to the eye but I am counting him. I found most of my fish just as Wayne described in his report, every canyon we fished our best success came about half way back and were finding more fish in any little cut and pocket along the slick rock than we were around the rock slides. I wish I could have stayed longer.

View attachment 2362
Yes it can, I fished the south end from 5/4 thru 5/8 and fished the whole time with this 4 in grub on a 3/8 oz jig and completed the grand slam on Monday afternoon . I did foul hook the blue gill next to the eye but I am counting him. I found most of my fish just as Wayne described in his report, every canyon we fished our best success came about half way back and were finding more fish in any little cut and pocket along the slick rock than we were around the rock slides. I wish I could have stayed longer.

It is interesting how a particular pattern and a similar location works over the length of this huge lake. Sweet spots in each canyon seem to produce the most fish while the mouth and the back of the canyon are just not as good right now.

On this first hot day there were many good spots that did not produce well. Some times the weather change does that and the fish respond better in similar conditions over the next few days.

Very cool! I’m curious what people consider a grand slam? I’ve always considered it striper, largemouth, smallmouth, walleye and crappie all in one day. Is a bluegill in there as well?

Some include blue gill, catfish and even carp. Mine didn't include catfish or carp. I have caught catfish as well on the same bait, but not on this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back