Bullfrog Weekend trip Slurps and more 6/20- 6/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mildog

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
Took a newbie to Lake Powell for a quick trip to try to get him into some Slurp action and other fishing. He has been to Lake Powell many times in his 31 young years, but had never fished the Lake. I did not think that was actually possible !!! We arrived Thurs evening 6/20 to a windy lake, headed to the houseboat just before Sunset. We put out a light and had some dinner. About an hour after dark we had a bunch of micro shad showing up, so we dropped some Steelshad lures down about 10 or 20 feet and started jigging them up and down, in short order we started catching Stripers and a couple Walleye. It was nice not having to mess with Bait. Newbie was hooked ( pun Intended) he did not want to quit
Just one more fish , he kept saying.
He would have stayed up all night if I didn't pull in the light. I figured I needed to get him some sleep so we could chase some slurps. Got up to a bit of wind Friday morning. We headed down lake toward Lake Canyon and got into a few slurps, but they were very picky and not staying up long. Newbie was having a blast but very frustrated he only got a couple to hit but struck out. Funny how he could cast long distances and with some precision until there was actually a Slurp present. LOL Wind picked up to the point it made slurps hard to see. So I took him to try for some SMB, he got the hang of that pretty quick and we got a few small ones and a couple better ones. A decent batch for him to take home for a fish dinner or two. Had a nice rainstorm with a bit of lightning hit in the afternoon that I was told lasted for few hours. I only caught part of it as it was perfect temps for a nice nap. We put the light out again and after it had been out for an hour or so after dark we started fishing and hooked up a couple right away and I thought game on here we go ! Then nothing ?? Neighbors using bait were not getting anything either ?? It was quite chilly after the storm rolled through ( which is awesome for late June, so not really complaining) I turned on fish-finder and saw fish were down there, also the occasional fish would come up and grab some shad as we had seen the evening before, but they seemed to have lockjaw this night.
Friday morning was chilly but pretty still, headed out about 6 am and saw the first slurp just minutes down lake from Bullfrog area. It stayed up a while but we tried several things that usually produce not takers, very finicky. Kept heading down lake perfect conditions nothing!! Ares we had seen them the day before Nada!
We got down to Slick rock Canyon in the main channel and finally ran into some slurps. They were mostly up and down and picky. Around the Rincon about 8:30 we ran into quite a few slurps, one we stayed with for about 20 minutes, with a few up and downs. Newbie struggle with making the right presentation, finally he hooked up with a couple one on Small Steelshad and one on a small fly behind a bubble. Unfortunately he did not land them. Just an FYI He thought for him as a beginner it was easier for him with the added weight of the bubble for casting and seeing where he was in relation to the slurp.
I finally decided to try a bit to see if it was presentation or just picky fish. It was a bit of both. I made several presentations that I thought were perfect without any takers, they were picky. I did get three, 2 on Steelshad and One of small shad fly behind the bubble out of 4 or 5 slurps. The wind picked up so we fished out way back for SMB and picked a few upon curl tail grubs in crawfish colors. The depths we got into fish while casting along broken rock piles was about 5 to 25 feet. Deeper seemed better since the water is rising so fast, I think more fish are still holding on structure that has been submerged longer. I wish we could have had another day, but we headed back Saturday afternoon as David had a commitment he needed to get to. It was quick trip but worth it as is every trip to this AWESOME Lake. David is a now a convert on Lake Powell to fish instead of the other nonsense he used to do and other people still do down there with boats that have no fishing gear. LOL He wants to go back anytime and can't wait. I told him as the shad grow and slurps turn into boils it gets a lot easier to fool them and is even more exciting. I enjoyed showing him this new side of the Lake and it was a joy to see his excitement and how much he enjoyed just trying and learning how to catch some fish. Take a Newbie or Kid fishing soon. We need more Wordlings and shad savers !!!
Tight lines,
Mildog

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back