Bullfrog walleye fishing may 1st through 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Yet You Bet

P1030666.JPG
Went to Bullfrog May 1st and left on May 13th. Targeted Walleye most all of the fishing time. Fished hard for four days and then 2nd week was less effort on fishing and more on vacation and camping.

Fished the Halls area on Tuesday the 2nd and caught 9 Walleye.

Fished the Bullfrog area and into Halls on Wednesday the 3rd and caught 8 walleye.

Fished Moki canyon and North on Thursday the 4th and caught 24 walleye.

Fished main channel north of Moki on Friday the 5th and caught 23 walleye

Did not fish 6th - 9th. My fishing partner had to go home and my wife come down for the second week. She was more on camping, boat riding, and vacationing than fishing but I did manage to stop and fish when I saw an area that looked good. She even caught some walleye and snags while I was trying to fish. I won’t say how many because it is a little embarrassing when the one you are teaching catches more than you do. But I always gave her the best rig.

Fished main channel North of Moki on Wednesday the 10th and caught 17 Walleye.

Fished north along the main channel again on Thursday the 11th and caught 15 walleye.

Only fished a couple of hours in the Moki area on Friday the 12th and caught 5 walleye, then went to the mouth of Halls and caught some stripers on bait.

Did not fish on Saturday the 13th and it was windy so we packed up and went home.

All in all had a great trip and the weather was almost perfect. First week 1st through 7th was perfect with no wind at all, but got a little hot. Monday the 8th was overcast most all day with no wind to speak of. Tuesday the 9th was overcast with rain and wind in the afternoon and night. I have never been down there in the spring time with that much great weather and no wind.

We would bottom bounce until we caught one and try fishing back through the same spot. If we caught another we would try jigs and crawler and we found a couple of areas that held some walleye. One spot produced a couple of times and then we tried it the next day and nothing. I don’t think the blade color made a lot of difference. One day the colorado blade out fished the smile blade and another day the smile blade out fished the colorado blade. Used chartreuse and orange most of the time. Used tube jigs and split tail jigs and did not seem to matter if the fish were there they would hit anything with a worm attached. We caught fish from 15 to 40 feet of water and tried to stay in the 30 ft depth as much as possible. We caught most of our fish in the mouth of the canyons and along or close to the main channel, but then again that is where we had success and so we did most of out fishing there. We also caught a fair amount of catfish and stripers and a few small mouth while fishing for walleye.

Spent a little time checking out the fish cleaning station and most of the large walleye catches said they were fishing up in Knoles canyon, so if we would have gone a little farther we may have even done better, but we were happy with out catches and had all the fish we needed, except for a tagged fish which we did not get. One group had a chest full of Small Mouth and said they went up the Escalante.

I am not good at taking pictures, and most of the pictures my wife took were not of fish. I was too busy running the boat and fishing to think about taking pictures. I took some of the fish just before I cleaned them and I will attach them if I can. They are not great, but do show what we caught. I will go through my wife’s pictures and see what she has and maybe post some of them later.

Were you actually bouncing on the bottom and if so what was the bottom like where you were fish. We are headed down next week for seven days and would like to target "eye's". When you started jigging for them did you drift along or spot lock on them? Thanks for the cool report!

Were you actually bouncing on the bottom and if so what was the bottom like where you were fish. We are headed down next week for seven days and would like to target "eye's". When you started jigging for them did you drift along or spot lock on them? Thanks for the cool report!

We tried to stay on the bottom as much as possible. The bottom varied from slick rock to large rocks. The slick rock was easier to bottom bounce on without hanging up, but mostly it seemed the large rock areas held the most fish. We did find one slick rock area that had deep water next to it and we caught a fair amount of fish on that point in 15 to 20 feet of water. We used 2 oz bottom bouncers and that seemed to help us stay on the bottom because along the main channel the bottom depth varies a lot. One minute you are in 25 ft of water and then next thing you look and you are in 100 feet or more. We caught fish in those areas where the water depth changed or dropped off. We always tried to spot lock over an area when we were jigging. Seemed like these areas were always next to a drop off. Good luck, hope you catch a bunch.

We tried to stay on the bottom as much as possible. The bottom varied from slick rock to large rocks. The slick rock was easier to bottom bounce on without hanging up, but mostly it seemed the large rock areas held the most fish. We did find one slick rock area that had deep water next to it and we caught a fair amount of fish on that point in 15 to 20 feet of water. We used 2 oz bottom bouncers and that seemed to help us stay on the bottom because along the main channel the bottom depth varies a lot. One minute you are in 25 ft of water and then next thing you look and you are in 100 feet or more. We caught fish in those areas where the water depth changed or dropped off. We always tried to spot lock over an area when we were jigging. Seemed like these areas were always next to a drop off. Good luck, hope you catch a bunch.
Thank you for the response. It looks like the weather and temp are going to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back