Bullfrog-Halls Report for Sept 16-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamman J

Had a fantastic week of enjoying the beauty and fishing Lake Powell Offers.

Striper was our target, and; thanks to reports here on Waynes Words, we were quickly able to locate schools of striper and shad right off Stanton Camp area in Bullfrog bay.

We also found a big school one day in Halls Creek 2/3rds of the way back in 50 ft of water.

For variety, not the best trip for us for whatever reason. Smallmouth were strangly slow for us, and we just trolled up one walleye, and no largemouth. But Stripers are the reason I make the trip so no worries.2B927006-3DF3-4C3D-B446-85F6DA74FD4C.jpegAACE5F63-BCF6-4A2D-A93B-32CCD299E40E.jpeg6B0B3FC7-FD28-44FB-A03F-E8CC098098CC.jpeg

We found the stripers chasing shad mostly in the 30-50 ft transition area off Stanton camping area. Especially around the small islands and points.

The stripers didnt always respond well to our spoons and tubes, but; being persistant most days we had fine fishing at times.

It didn't seem to be a time of day thing like usual, but with so much shad to eat deep, the stripers seemed to get active at their leisure. It took the right place at the right time to make a good score.

Some of the best bites were in the heat 90 degree plus.

I believe that with all the bait and striper we were marking on the sonar; the Bullfrog area is going to have great Striper fishing as the water cools.

It was great meeting and interacting with several Waynes Words supporters, especially meeting and hunting stripers with Hot Wheels.

I’ve read so many of his posts over the years and was great meeting the legend in person.

For Spoons I had great success with Fle-Fly slabs, four inch Lake Fork flutter spoons.

I was also thrilled with our success using tube baits called hookup baits and also gizits tubes in 5/8 ounce sized owner tube jig heads.
they do a great job replicating shad and the stripers wolfed them down like live bait at times.1E50C8DD-136E-48AA-AF03-6DB75281F016.jpeg

I had a lot of fun attaching two tubes via a three way swivel and differing lengths of flouro carbon which allowed me to catch several double headers on one pole when we found and active school of Striper.

Thanks to Wayne for having such an amazing fishing website to help us fine tune our success year after year. Cant wait for my next Lake Powell trip.

Attachments

• E3D7783A-3FD6-499C-8FC8-5B6F177BFB1D.jpeg
    E3D7783A-3FD6-499C-8FC8-5B6F177BFB1D.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 104
Them there tube baits come with replacements?
The way they get bit I’m gonna need a good source dudy brah!

Hey Jamming J, was nice to meet you and fish right next to you trying to keep up with you catching those Striper's. It was not the numbers I was expecting to catch as I did not have any of those spoons you were using. I will have them in my tackle box the next time :) , but still was a good time for me and my fishing buddy Marc. We did run north to GHB and could not find any Striper's. Also went to Rincon and smb fishing was great. Caught a couple walleye also. :)

Hotwheels

Hey Jamming J, was nice to meet you and fish right next to you trying to keep up with you catching those Striper's. It was not the numbers I was expecting to catch as I did not have any of those spoons you were using. I will have them in my tackle box the next time :) , but still was a good time for me and my fishing buddy Marc. We did run north to GHB and could not find any Striper's. Also went to Rincon and smb fishing was great. Caught a couple walleye also. :)

Hotwheels
Hey Hotwheels. Good to meet you out there as well. I was on the radio with you on James boat. Best hit was Friday afternoon after we packed our camp back into the truck. 46 fish between 1:30&dusk. I’ll be back around 28th of October till the 1st of November. Pete

They come that way. There are two california manufactureres hookupbaits.com or ultralightheavyweights lures google search for website. They have changed the way i fish ocean bass and crossover fantastic into freshwater esp for striper small mouth and largemouth.

We did have good sucess with traditional tubebait styles like gizits but i think the new style has a little more minnow type twitchy action that fish have a hard time refusing.

They come that way. There are two california manufactureres hookupbaits.com or ultralightheavyweights lures google search for website. They have changed the way i fish ocean bass and crossover fantastic into freshwater esp for striper small mouth and largemouth.

We did have good sucess with traditional tubebait styles like gizits but i think the new style has a little more minnow type twitchy action that fish have a hard time refusing.
Cutting them like that would definitely make them easier to make, I make tubes and cutting the tails is the hard part

Perfect...we use them on 5/8 ounce owner tube jig heads and I use a three way owner swivel to fish double trouble rig with two different length sizes of fluorocarbon and when you get bit wait to load up most the time you will pull in two at a time

Are you cutting those tubes to shape them like that?
I am yes. Other than ultralight heavyweights, I’ve yet to find a straight, hollow tube skirt on the market. I successfully used gitzit trimmed up at Powell as well as Berkeley power tubes but I’m dipping my own now to get the shape I want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back