Bullfrog Fishing Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Utah DWR will be attempting to collect 200 striped bass next Monday and Tuesday. The fish will be placed in a UT hatchery and used to provide eggs to produce eggs to create wipers for use in many lakes in UT.

We will try to catch the stripers on hook and line and quickly put them in a hatchery truck where we hope they can survive and thrive.

If you have any current fish reports from Bullfrog or Halls we would really appreciate you sharing those reports here. See you at Bullfrog on Monday.

Thanks,

Wayne

do tou think they will ever introduce wipers to LP?

No the striper population is over abundant in most years so the shad population is small due to predation from all the predators in the lake. There is no need for another predator to compete for the shad supply. The lake record striped bass is over 48 pounds while the UT state record for wipers is less than 20 pounds. There are many striper to catch using the same techniques required to catch wipers. I have caught over 100 stripers in one day so they are often easy to catch.

No the striper population is over abundant in most years so the shad population is small due to predation from all the predators in the lake. There is no need for another predator to compete for the shad supply. The lake record striped bass is over 48 pounds while the UT state record for wipers is less than 20 pounds. There are many striper to catch using the same techniques required to catch wipers. I have caught over 100 stripers in one day so they are often easy to catch.

That's what we wanted to hear(y)

Fished for stripers in the Bullfrog area Fri. afternoon, Sat. and Sunday morning. Started at Moki, Fri night, I think its called the cathedral. Hole on North side. Anyway tried spoons and anchovies, no luck. Moved to Stanton Creek, and Haystacks and trolled till dark. Could not find the stripers. Got up Sat. to windy conditions, decided to stay close, fished Bullfrog bay around Domerock, caught 25 stripers and 3 channel catfish on anchovies and perch shad raps on downriggers at 20 ft. We trolled the mornings from houseboats to end and then fished the afternoon with anchovies. Trolling was very slow. It only produced 4 of the fish. Quit Sunday at noon.

I talked to the DWR truck driver. Said they got a couple truck loads. I wonder how they separate the males?

Update: We found a couple of patterns that worked for us and ended up with over 120 stripers. There are a very fragile fish but we managed to keep about 100 of them alive for transport back to Springville Hatchery. We placed 2 cups of rock salt in the live well to keep the fish alive during transport to a barge with a hatchery technician who worked wonders with the fish rolling on their side and swimming up-side-down. Whatever he did really worked.

Stripers are easy to determine sex in spawning season (April-June) because the males are running ripe when you pick them up and squeeze them. Females are not easy but if then do not emit sperm then it is likely a female or an immature fish. Larger fish are likely females.

We caught stripers trolling near the trees in 25 feet of water in the back of Halls Creek. There was a deep spooning school in front of the Haystacks. Water is shallow (less than 50 feet) in most of the area but there is a 50 yard "pool" where the depth quickly falls to 110 feet. We caught fish there both days. We also trolled up some stripers near Dome Rock in 25 feet of water. There was one school in the back right hand fork of Moki Canyon where we caught a few fish but just as many smallmouth bass. Depth was also near 25 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back