Bullfrog fishing report 07/01 to 07/04

Status
Not open for further replies.

TightLines

First – Thanks for the great site and to all who give the average fishermen the ability to catch a few or a few more!

Slurps—They were pretty much everywhere but you had to look for them on relatively flat water which would mean before the wind and boat traffic starts. I had an extremely difficult time reducing the striper population—to say the least --- I was able to get within casting distance many times --- and to my dismay many times “they” would come right towards the boat and – one splash from an alert striper -- and they were gone – I did catch a total of TWO over a three day period – way to frustrating – I caught the two with a single tailed white plastic grub – I had zero success with a silver Kastmaster and small top water lures –

Anchovy fishing at the entry to Lake Canyon – downriver side of the entry --- FANTASTIC – I went thinking that there would be limited success (fishing solo) – I was wrong – did a minor amount of chumming and had two lines in the water -- Had fish on both lines ever 2-5 minutes – This was the first time I had to put one rod away as I couldn’t keep Up – 25 in the cooler – good average size – what always throws me for a loop is that when you bring “them” on board – they are as firm as a football / – even in the cooler they stay that way – until you start cleaning ---and the air bladder goes -- still nice fillets // Cleaned one that a small whole lizard – pretty cool – see crayfish a lot but first time a lizard

SMB / LMB—Great top-water action between 6-7 in the morning and at dusk – There is just something about a top-water lure hitting the surface and a fish exploding for it --- The jumps were great – all SMB /LMB put back for the next time !

I don’t know about the rest of you but I find that 90% of the time that when a fish is going to hit it hits immediately are within a few seconds of the cast – Occasionally I will have a hit as I’m working the lure back to the boat but it seems to me my time is better spent retrieving the top-water after working it for 10-15 feet and recasting

FYI—Filet: The two stripers caught from the slurps had about 25% more meat than the ones caught on Anchovies – I assume that is because the ones on the surface are feeding all of the time –

Thanks again for all of the great info that WW supplies

FYI—Filet: The two stripers caught from the slurps had about 25% more meat than the ones caught on Anchovies – I assume that is because the ones on the surface are feeding all of the time –

Thanks again for all of the great info that WW supplies

Shad are on the surface and larger stripers are in deeper water because they cant take warm water for an extended period. So they have to get up and get back down quickly. Right now the shad are not big enough to make the hazardous trip worthwhile so these longer stripers stay deep and eat crayfish while those smaller stripers feeding on the surface can eat 100 small shad a day. This will change when boils start because shad are then big enough to make the warm water trip worth while. With boils the deeper larger fish will get more meat on their bones and be better table fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back