Braid, Fluoro, or Mono

I bought a spool of 167 yards of 20 lb braid. If I use some mono to back up the reel, do you think i can use it on two different reels (80 ish yards per reel)?
Depending on the size of the reel you may need to put about 20yds of backing under the braid so you have close to a full spool, but yes you can. My crappie reels are 1000 series and I spool 2 reels from 1spool of 10lb braid. I would look at the line capacity of the reels and go from there.

I could use some knot tieing tips from you folks please.
I only have one hand and some of those connector knots drive me crazy, even home at the table much less in a boat with waves.
I currently attach my flou to braid at a ball bearing swivel for my bb’ing rigs and between a Spro swivel on my jigging rigs.
Would love to get rid of Spro swivel if there was an easy knot I could tie with one hand?
Thank you.

I only have one hand and some of those connector knots drive me crazy, even home at the table much less in a boat with waves.
I currently attach my flou to braid at a ball bearing swivel for my bb’ing rigs and between a Spro swivel on my jigging rigs.
Would love to get rid of Spro swivel if there was an easy knot I could tie with one hand?
Thank you.
on my phone, I have a app called "fishing knots lite" -- it has step by step instructions on at least 100 different knots --- it has video's and diagrams --- the diagrams work without cell service--- one of the best "fishing tools" I own

How full should the spool be once i have put all the line on? I have seen some things about not "overfilling the spool" Does it really matter?

Thank you.
That has got to be a significant challenge in many areas. Your dexterity must be incredible on your existing hand. I’m going to try tying some one handed knots. Have you ever tried YouTube to see if there are any suggestions?
Do you have a prosthetic that can hold any line or a tool to hold line?

Thank you.
I don't know that I can tie any knot with one hand but the Alberto seems to be one of the easier knots for joining two lines

That has got to be a significant challenge in many areas. Your dexterity must be incredible on your existing hand. I’m going to try tying some one handed knots. Have you ever tried YouTube to see if there are any suggestions?
Do you have a prosthetic that can hold any line or a tool to hold line?
I currently tie Palomar, Improved Cinch, and Snell knots no problem with one hand.
I use a pair of hemostats to hold hook, swivel, lure, etc and those are easy.
It is those cursed braid to flouro knots that drive me nuts.
That is why I gave up the Uni and just went to a Spro swivel to connect the two.
I will also try a Palomar at each end of flouro/braid and join them that way next time.
It will leave two knots about 2” apart this way but at least the knots will be small.

I use the Seaguar knot to tie braid to fluorocarbon. My brothers use a tool to tie the knot, but it's very easy to tie. Line up 5 inches of braid and fluorocarbon together. Make a large 3 inch loop with both, stick your first finger through the loop, wind it 4 times, pull your finger out slowly and carefully maintaining the 4 twisted loops, stick the tag ends of the braid and fluorocarbon through the loops, and slowly pull it all tight. Wet the knot and pull it all together tightly. Trim the tags and you have a super strong small tight knot. I use 12 pound braid and 10 pound fluorocarbon. I've only had it break once but that was when I hooked a 50 pound plus Flathead Catfish in Brownlee reservoir in 20 feet of water. I could see the fish clearly on Livescope as I fought it for over an hour but it was a battle that I was destined to lose. It was still a great experience though!

I like to use the alberto knot, but cheat a little and it has never failed me. I twist the braid 9 times over the fluoro one direction without overlapping it going back down, then run the braid tag end back through the fluoro hole. Super easy!

Thank you.
My hat is off to you Mr. Bennett and your effort and love for fishing. I can't imagine trying to tie with one hand, that is awesome. With that being said, I grew up with a guy, that only had one arm, and he was amazing to me as a kid, that he could do anything with one arm and no prosthetic back then. He could even swing a sledge hammer with the best of them. Again, my hat is off to you, I take things for granted some time, and reading your post sure made me think.

My hat is off to you Mr. Bennett and your effort and love for fishing. I can't imagine trying to tie with one hand, that is awesome. With that being said, I grew up with a guy, that only had one arm, and he was amazing to me as a kid, that he could do anything with one arm and no prosthetic back then. He could even swing a sledge hammer with the best of them. Again, my hat is off to you, I take things for granted some time, and reading your post sure made me think.
You are too kind KY, thank you.
I will be headed to GHB area 4/24 if wind cooperates.
I will be on my own in a silver Reata with a black 175 on the back.
Green Springbar set up in GHB, Ticaboo, or maybe Knowles/Cedar area.
(One or two of my buddies will most likely be camping on same beach, in their Lunds,
So maybe three tents set up).
I will cook you a Walleye taco if you will help me catch just one of your giant Crappie!

Attachments

• IMG_9624.jpeg
    IMG_9624.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
You are too kind KY, thank you.
I will be headed to GHB area 4/24 if wind cooperates.
I will be on my own in a silver Reata with a black 175 on the back.
Green Springbar set up in GHB, Ticaboo, or maybe Knowles/Cedar area.
(One or two of my buddies will most likely be camping on same beach, in their Lunds.
So maybe three tents set up).
I will cook you a Walleye taco if you will help me catch just one of your giant Crappie!
If I'm there, I would certainly try for sure. And that is perfect timing for them to be into the bank for the spawn👍. I would love to be where PFD just came back from in the San Juan arm for some Crappie fishing 😊

Thanks to everyone that helped me with such great info. Had an amazing trip with my two sons. Our braid fluoro combo worked perfectly. We used the double uni knot and it was easy enough for us newbies. The Stripers loved the Walley Assasins and we caught over 50 in one day. Several in the 4-6 pound range. I loved hearing the braid ripping off the line! I posted pictures and a report in the Anglers corner. My sons kept teasing me on the drive down about my "forum buddies" but after killing it Sunday they were grateful. I took Dungees advice and got some 3/16 ounce jig heads and wallley assasins. The Stripers loved those. There were two other boats next to us that didn't catch any and we were pulling then in with that combo. Unfortunately i was down to my last four and couldn't share. Some of the other crank baits worked ok, but the jig head with the Walleye Assasins were by far the best.

I run 10 lb braid to a leader on my spinning reels.

I almost exclusively run PLine copolymer on my casting reels. I switched from flouro and I like it far better. It's stronger for the same diameter and far more abrasion resistant.

Mono and a medium action rod. If you are trolling the mono stretches with the crank bait action and keeps it in the water. That is also what the medium rod does.
If you use braided you lure will be on the top of the water as there is no give. And if you snag something with braid you are done for as that stuff is unbreakable.
My 2 cents worth
dale

Mono and a medium action rod. If you are trolling the mono stretches with the crank bait action and keeps it in the water. That is also what the medium rod does.
If you use braided you lure will be on the top of the water as there is no give. And if you snag something with braid you are done for as that stuff is unbreakable.
My 2 cents worth
dale
They both have their applications. For trolling, I agree 100% with you. Casting baits or deep jigging, braid and a fluorocarbon leader is much more sensitive. I just came back from a trip where the walleye were really shallow. You could only get them on super light jigs that would sink slowly. Because braid floats, you get to see a subtle take when the line twitches.

My 2 cents worth
dale
Braid unbreakable?
That depends on what strength of braid one buys.

My 2 cents worth
dale
Huh, Your crankbait that dives 20 feet will be on top?? I respectfully say you are incorrect! Last week running at 4mph plus we were hitting bottom at 20 feet plus and lots of Stripers and walleye disagreed as well, as they gobbled up size 9 flickers!! Mono is great for many applications , but you are missing out if not using braid and or fluorocarbon for various applications. I have rods rigged with all 3 in the boat when at lake Powell and other fisheries! and as mentioned above you can get braid in 10 lb to as heavy as you wish so many options. I can tell you I lose a lot less tackle on braid and don’t see any lower catch rate, sometimes with leader, sometimes tied direct!
Just my two cents worth!

Back