Bow Sonar/Terrova

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Want to finally put a sonar unit up in the bow, does anyone have a Humminbird helix series sonar unit plugged into their terrova? Is it compatable with the transducer in the terrova, ours is a 2014 model. Thanks

Want to finally put a sonar unit up in the bow, does anyone have a Humminbird helix series sonar unit plugged into their terrova? Is it compatable with the transducer in the terrova, ours is a 2014 model. Thanks

I had my Terrova hooked up to my Onix (I know it's not a Helix) but the universal sonar 2 that comes with the Terrova (US2 I believe) didn't have side imaging capabilities which I really like when fishing on the bow so I ran the cable for the transducer that came with it down the shaft and mounted my transducer on the Terrova motor, the US2 Terrova transducer is a backup only in my boat. You can remove the control head and there's a groove in the shaft that you can lay the transducer cable in. (
) not sure if this helps but I'm guessing your HELIX is capable of much more than just the 2D sonar that the US2 provides...Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and reply! The sonar is all I want/need at this time. I don’t need SI for Powell and wouldn’t know where to begin with it. Right now I just need it to show me balls of Shad and Stripers chasing them.

with the hummingbird plug in it will have standard sonar and gps , just not down or side imaging. speed and temp. should work.

Preston,
We have a 2016 Terrova on our Tracker Bassboat. It’s a 55lb. 12 v version, but same stuff as the US2 in yours, (Pre the latest Bluetooth version). We have a 2014 Terrova in our new/old Crestliner and the Terrova's appear identical, other than that one is 101lb 36V.

We have used the internal Terrova US2 transducer with a Humminbird Paranamax, Helix7 and Lowrance Elite Chirp 7, with the correct adapter.
They all worked without issue, as good as with their factory transducer, maybe better. I think you will be fine...as others have said the only limitation is the t'ducer is only Sonar. But you can see bait balls, SMB hanging near the bottom, and striper schools.

I run the Lowrance now on it, only because it is Sonar and Down Image only and I only use it is Sonar mode. I moved the Helix 7 to the console, as it is SI/DI and Sonar. So I use it a lot in the shallower areas and rocky structure in Side Image along the walls to get a better idea what the structure looks like. But on both I always run Sonar too.

Having the front graph is helpful, not only to see how shallow its getting before the whole boat is aground...lol. But, I am usually up front and Jackie likes to fish from the rear deck chair, so when I going slowly and see something as I go over it, I can yell "Fish at XX feet!" She can then drop down and try to be in position before she gets there.

Can't say we actually catch any more fish because of this. I think we just enjoy the yelling and the anticipation it creates! LOL

Good luck with it!

Attachments

• image3dd.jpeg
    image3dd.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    471.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6569.JPG
    IMG_6569.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 47
You will notice on the images that the unit also shows the temp.

You are correct Meatwagon,
However, in that image the Humminbird is using the rear transducer, and has side image on too.

But I get temperature readings using the US2 as well. I've sometime noticed about a 1 degree difference between the front US2 transducer and the rear transducer. Not sure if just different calibration, or heat from the motor in the trolling motor being in the same housing as the US2 sensor?

You are correct Meatwagon,
However, in that image the Humminbird is using the rear transducer, and has side image on too.

But I get temperature readings using the US2 as well. I've sometime noticed about a 1 degree difference between the front US2 transducer and the rear transducer. Not sure if just different calibration, or heat from the motor in the trolling motor being in the same housing as the US2 sensor?
I have noticed the same with my setup as well, also 1 to 2ft. Difference in depth while trolling for the crappie. I would assume transducer depth variance from front to back of boat, but the the us2 transducer does give you a very good reading

When we were actually graphing and trying to spoon we were both positioned in the bow, one of us had to occasionally step back down to see what the graph was doing. It would be nice to just have it there in front for spooning. Only other reason for having it in my needs is when you’re fishing dirty water and can’t see the obstructions. I just need the basics up front. Can keep the gps stuff at the helm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back