Boil Fishing Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose

Just curious to gather other Wordlings' thoughts on fishing etiquette. What is the proper approach when someone else is fishing a boil and you want to join them?

I think its optimal that everyone can get in on the act and catch fish without stepping on anybody else's toes. It's hard when adrenaline is pumping and boils may spook easily and be small and short lived.

I think maybe something like:
  1. Approach Slowly - Maybe a specific distance away to cut to idle power? Maybe 50 yards+ from the edge? (The law concerning approaching other boats)
  2. Keep a minimum of long casting distance between yourself and other boats.
  3. Direction of approach - wrong to park yourself in the middle of where stripers are moving? Trying not to wake the school?
What do y'all think?

I couldn't find a post on this, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Luckily we've never had to share a boil. A couple people have tried to approach us and a boil a few times but it went down prior to multiple boats fishing it. We just take the extra safe stance and don't approach anything someone else is fishing and cruise by.

I know you just had an incident with boils, but to me non boil angler ediquete is far more abused, at least with us.

Boil size would have a lot to do with it. I have seen huge boils where multiple boats can fish it and never be within casting distance of each other's boat. I have driven over them, fished them with big engine idling, and have had to push off other boats crowding me, I have also been tied off to a raft of boats and fished underwater boils with friends. I try to treat it as I would want to be treated, I should not have to put my pole down to push your boat away from mine, otherwise it is a big lake if they are boiling there they are boiling elsewhere also. Your rules should be at least the minimum.

We have shared boils, both as the first boat on the scene and coming in second. As first boat, if the second boat watches and sees which way the boil is moving, comes in ahead and shuts down both of us get our fish. The boats that come charging in to the middle or across our cast are usually met with unkind comments and gestures. Occasionally with shouted instructions on boil etiquette.
We try to do the same as second boat in. If we can see the boil is not large enough or moving in a good direction to get to it we will usually shut down and wait for it to sound and re-appear hoping we are in a better position.
On the very large boils we can usually shut down the big engine and go in on the trolling motor.

Luckily we've never had to share a boil. A couple people have tried to approach us and a boil a few times but it went down prior to multiple boats fishing it. We just take the extra safe stance and don't approach anything someone else is fishing and cruise by.

I know you just had an incident with boils, but to me non boil angler ediquete is far more abused, at least with us.

That's because you're always catching fish. ;)

I think maybe it depends on the boil and how big it is I have seen smaller boils erupt around bigger ones . I would not fish in a boil where someone is fishing , it may be the first one for them and they should enjoy the experience. Its a big lake with plenty of places to fish and plenty of fish. I have been fishing from shore and have had people come in 5 feet from me to park a boat.(not cool) And others still close when fishing from shore , with no regard for engine noise:mad:.Had another guy see my stringer of fish at bullfrog and ask if he could fish right next to me - I said yes. If you ask its one thing to just do it is another. Me personally I would stay away from others fishing to me that is their time. Just my thoughts.

A one ounce sinker to the side of your boat means your too close... always use caution.... a few fish is not worth getting yours/ or someone else's blood pressure up...
I'm more like Preston- we usually will give a wide birth and go find other fish..

I totally agree that it all depends on the size of the boil. For example, the boil we got in to at the end of last month in Wahweap Bay was HUGE and easily was fished by us and 3 other boats without even being remotely close to one another. The fish stayed up for hours, so pushing them down wasn't much of an issue. On the other hand, if the boil is small enough that you can't approach without getting within casting distance of the other boat fishing it...then move on, or in some cases guess the direction of the school and get over close to that spot and wait your turn...maybe they come to you, maybe not. Man...that 3 hr, 3 football sized boil is still dancing in my mind! EPIC!

I think as long as another boat approaches with the trolling motor and stays beyond casting distance then I would welcome the help in saving some shad. I enjoy seeing others having a great time almost as much as having a great time. Spending many years trolling for crappie on my local lakes things can get pretty congested sometimes when the fish are bunched up and the bite is on. At the end of the day there's plenty of fish in sea, as long as we respect the space of others whatever that might be there shouldn't be any reason to have a bad day.

I just experienced a troubling event, my wife and I were fishing a small cove when a boat of younger folks came around us and proceeded to cuss us for asking why they thought this was acceptable behavior. The language was over the top, threats etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back