Boat tow from Dangling Rope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone up near Dangling Rope tomorrow who could tow a 22’ Sea Ray back to Wahweap? Executive services are going to charge 1500.00. If you can please call me. 951 318-5814. It’s for my brother in law who’s up there now. He would pay but we think 1500.00 is extortion for a 43 mile tow. Bob. I will hook you up with him. He staying in Page.

I live in So Cal, I ran the numbers for fuel, it would cost me 715.00 to drive from So Cal fuel my boat at Page travel up lake and back and drive back home.

That could take all day. last year a friends engine came apart and I towed him from mile marker 26 and it took over 4.5 hours to get him to AP public ramp. 1500 does not sound bad for the time it may take.

No rentals at Dangling Rope. So that isn't an option.

"Young boat owner" doesn't mean stupid, although $100,000 for a boat just to surf next to might imply that. What you need to be aware of is that such a person probably has no interest in helping some poor old dude with a Sea Ray get home from Dangling Rope. Nothing screams "ME" aloud more than a 100K surf boat. This doesn't mean all youngsters on the lake are in that mode. But don't get your hopes up. Fishermen, slalom skiers and barefooters all have smaller boats than a 22' Sea Ray and would struggle to tow it 40 miles, especially with the Gauntlet between Padre and Warm Creek. $1500 from anybody willing to make that tow is probably a bargain.

These rates make Boat US policies look appealing.

This! If you spend much time on LP, BoatUS towing will pay for itself on the first incident. I currently pay about $90/year for unlimited towing on any boat that I'm currently aboard - including our houseboat. This means I'm covered for 16+ years before my premiums hit the $1500 quote given above. They also kick in $50 on ground transportation, if needed.

I have thought about these situations plenty. I love to help others, but, it costs us $1000 per day to be at the lake with 6 people. Take our $100K plus Sea Ray 270 Sundeck boat with 111 hours on it, spend all day towing, tie up our group, who also loves to help others, put 10-14 more hours on the boat, depreciating the value of the asset, and we can only stay at the lake 3-4 days a year, and there is no amount of money that could make the assist appealing. We have one person who flies in from Maine, two from Chicago.
We would probably do it anyway if we were there. We would never leave anyone on the water.

I have thought about these situations plenty. I love to help others, but, it costs us $1000 per day to be at the lake with 6 people. Take our $100K plus Sea Ray 270 Sundeck boat with 111 hours on it, spend all day towing, tie up our group, who also loves to help others, put 10-14 more hours on the boat, depreciating the value of the asset, and we can only stay at the lake 3-4 days a year, and there is no amount of money that could make the assist appealing. We have one person who flies in from Maine, two from Chicago.
We would probably do it anyway if we were there. We would never leave anyone on the water.
Agreed. Our last trip we assisted three people on the lake. One who had their Sea Ray blow onto shore from a storm (three of us helped pull it back in the water), one group who was stranded at Hole in the Rock after their Nautique had engine problems (shuttled them back to their houseboat across the main channel) and one who had mechanical problems in Rincon (called Executive Services to get them a tow once we got in cell phone range).

In this case I think the best way to handle the situation would be to find a way to get from Dangling Rope to Wahweap and rent one of their boats, then return to Dangling Rope and tow the disabled boat home yourself.

This! If you spend much time on LP, BoatUS towing will pay for itself on the first incident. I currently pay about $90/year for unlimited towing on any boat that I'm currently aboard - including our houseboat. This means I'm covered for 16+ years before my premiums hit the $1500 quote given above. They also kick in $50 on ground transportation, if needed.
I’m curious who retirives or company that comes and get you on Powell ? And do you pay them on them a deductible or and does boatus reimburse? Or is a phone call and that’s it ?

I’m curious who retirives or company that comes and get you on Powell ? And do you pay them on them a deductible or and does boatus reimburse? Or is a phone call and that’s it ?

Much like AAA, you call them directly or use their app, if possible. They will arrange everything. If you need to arrange on your own at LP due to lack of cell/data service, Aramark (Exec Svcs) is already an approved provider. No out of pocket costs is the goal. I have heard of some members that due to extenuating circumstances had to wait for a reimbursement check, but it arrived in a timely manner.

My boat insurance covers towing.

Good point! Towing can usually be added to your regular policy. I liked the BoatUS standalone policy because it covers any boat I happen to be using. My regular boat policy had several restrictions about that (specific boat, how many miles, which service provider, etc) - which may be just fine for many boaters.

Well the boat is still at Dangling Rope, you can see it on the web cam (bottom right, backed in, blue Bimini). Executive Services will get to it until tomorrow. I wonder if there is some way of connecting WW peeps who are up lake who would be willing to tow a broken boat back down the lake (and of course be reimbursed)? Just a thought.

Hopefully you got things figured out. If not I’d hang out at dangling rope and ask every boat that comes in if they have a houseboat south of dangling rope. All of those houseboats are heading back to Wahweap eventually.

My brother in law had his boat towed finally by Executive Services yesterday and they only charged him 500.00 instead of the quoted 1500.00. So that was a huge help. I have been toying with the idea for many years of buying a kicker outboard for my own Sea Ray and just storing it inside the boat (somewhere). Maybe a 9.9 hp, because even if I had towing insurance it could take a couple of days (like my brother in law’s took) for towing service to get to you. Has anyone been able to do that with built in swim platform and just install the outboard when needed? Thank you all for you good suggestions over the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back