boat explodes - who runs gas/propane fume detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Stevens - USBR

This story gave me a scare this morning, my buddy is a captain on a 55' dive boat out of San Pedro. He's fine, unfortunately this story has a tragic ending with likely over 30 dead.

I think a Firboy-Xintex Gas/Propane detector is my next purchase for the houseboat, anybody running one?

I think a Firboy-Xintex Gas/Propane detector is my next purchase for the houseboat, anybody running one?
Grant, In 2015 I installed a new Fireboy Xintex gas/propane detector using two separate sensors in my bilges - one in the generator compartment, and one in the engine compartment. This replaced one that came with my boat originally that was not reliable any longer. This new system is a very sensitive system. The alarm will go off at times, usually when it is very hot outside and I'm not running the bilge blowers (like when dockside in my slip). If the alarm goes off, I turn on the bilge blowers and the alarm goes off within 30 seconds. At no time can I actually smell gasoline or propane (which my boat has also) in the bilges, but the sensors obviously are sensing something.

Overall, I'm happy with the system and it would be a very easy installation on a houseboat - I'm actually surprised it isn't a USCG requirement to have one installed on all gasoline-powered vessels of a certain size. Many of us do the "smell" test in our bilges to make sure there are no gasoline fumes prior to starting - I still do this myself, but the sensor system is much more sensitive than my nose. -Doug

Last edited:
Grant, I installed a new (2015) Fireboy Xintex gas/propane detector installed using two separate sensors in my bilges - one in the generator compartment, and one in the engine compartment. It is a very sensitive system. The alarm will go off at times, usually when it is very hot outside and I'm not running the bilge blowers (like when dockside in my slip). If the alarm goes off, I turn on the bilge blowers and the alarm goes off within 30 seconds. At no time can I actually smell gasoline or propane (which my boat has also) in the bilges, but the sensors obviously are sensing something.

Overall, I'm happy with the system and it would be a very easy installation on a houseboat - I'm actually surprised it isn't a USCG requirement to have one installed on all gasoline-powered vessels of a certain TBD size. Many of us do the "smell" test in our bilges to make sure there are no gasoline fumes prior to starting - I still do this myself, but the sensor system is much more sensitive than my nose. -Doug
Smart... Nothing like seeing the results of a gas/propane explosion to get ones attention.

I was bowhunting when we heard an explosion down in the valley. A motorhome went kabloohey from a propane explosion. This is 25 miles back on a rough road where anyone who likes their motorhome should never have taken it. Luckily the owner was out watering horses and no one was hurt. The sight of the remains left quite an impression, needless to say I never take an RV to hunting camp.

Grant, In 2015 I installed a new Fireboy Xintex gas/propane detector using two separate sensors in my bilges - one in the generator compartment, and one in the engine compartment.

Thanks Doug! Can you answer the following question, I emailed Xintex but haven't received a response yet. I see they advertise either a Gasoline and a Propane detector. It looks like they both use the same sensor, and the replacement sensor is described as a "Gasoline and Propane" detector. If I get the 2 channel Gasoline detector (G-2BB), do you know if it will detect "both" Gasoline and Propane? Thanks

Thanks Doug! Can you answer the following question, I emailed Xintex but haven't received a response yet. I see they advertise either a Gasoline and a Propane detector. It looks like they both use the same sensor, and the replacement sensor is described as a "Gasoline and Propane" detector. If I get the 2 channel Gasoline detector (G-2BB), do you know if it will detect "both" Gasoline and Propane? Thanks
Grant, I'll be down to my boat tonight and will look at the user manual; I'm almost certain it detects both gasoline and propane. I'll update this post later with facts. -Doug

Grant, In my case, I was replacing an existing gas fume detector from 1980 that needed new sensors but the OEM brand no longer existed. So I looked at what was available out there.

I did not buy the Fireboy/Xintex unit. I found an alternative that was less than half the cost of the Fireboy/Xintex option and still marine certified. It is made by Marine Technologies, Inc. ( Marine Technologies, Inc. ). I installed the SA-1 XL with 2 sensors, and this unit DOES detect gasoline and propane. I've attached a photo of my device head and also the owner's manual that verifies that this device detects both gasoline and propane (see on top of page 1 under 'specifications'). My experience has been good with this device and I recommend it for those on a budget vs. the Fireboy/Xintex option.

MTI SA-1 XL.jpgSA1_SA1XL_Page_1.jpgSA1_SA1XL_Page_2.jpg

Thanks Doug, I saw that Marine Tech unit as well, I'll take a closer look. Xintex did respond to my email, there response was:

Our sincere apologies for the delay in our response. Yes, that is correct, the FS-T01-R sensor will detector both gas and propane fumes, so even if you have the G-2BB-R system it will still detect both types of fumes and alert you. It does depend on where you install the sensor. See attached. If you have any more questions, please let us know. Thank you for your interest in Fireboy-Xintex products!

They didn't clarify "It does depend on where you install the sensor", but at least we know it will alarm on both gasoline and propane fumes.

Thanks for your help and info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back