Black Tank Pumpouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

John P Funk

Escalante-Class Member
I bought a Cabin Cruiser in April 2016, that needed a little(okay a lot of)work. I've had it on our local lake(McPhee) several times this summer, but haven't taken it to Powell yet. I'm planning to make the Powell maiden voyage next weekend(21&22). The plan is to launch at Halls Crossing and motor up to GHB, or White Canyon. My question is regarding pumping out my black water tank. I know there are pumpouts at Halls, but what does it cost? Or would it be better to use the hand pumps at the floating bathroom in GHB? Are there any fittings that I should have on board for either situation(I've never pumped the tank before and could use some advice). It's only a 20 gallon tank, so I wouldn't think it would be a time consuming process?

John, Like Bart says, the pump-outs are free. Since you'll have to motor past the Halls pump-out/fuel cove anyway, it's a good place to fill with drinking water (so you don't have to haul it from home!). The cam-loc fitting is the same on the cam-loc end, but the threaded end needs to fit your boat. While you're at it, it would be a good idea to buy a threaded 90 deg elbow and a female iron pipe size by cam-loc (f.i.p. x cam-loc) so that when you screw it into your boat the cam-loc end is pointed up and not out to the side. The flexible hose at the pump-out isn't really all that flexible, and with a little wave action, it will break off your plastic fitting when the hose hits the dock. This fitting is attached or available at the floating restrooms (more on that later), but not at the marina-based pump-outs. You'll also want a couple of good sized fenders (bumpers) to keep your boat at least 6" away from the dock no matter what the wind is doing. The elbow keeps the fittings within 2 to 3 inches of your boat, and it's a lot easier to keep things from hitting. Don't ask me how I know this (twice in one trip!).
About the floating restrooms... These can be a little tricky if you don't know how they work! They use a hand operated diaphragm pump similar to this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/416DXPtmWiL.jpg
On the up-stroke, the diaphragm sucks the wastewater in while at the same time sucking a rubber flap, mounted at a 45 deg. angle, down against its seat on the discharge side. The down-stroke then pushes the wastewater out while at the same time closing a rubber flap on the intake side. If all your'e pumping is water, everything works fine. But it's not all water, and it doesn't take much to keep the flaps from making a perfect seal. The work-around for this is to fill the suction hose with water before you connect it to your boat. There is a check valve on the boat end of the hose, and a ball valve. Take the boat end of the hose around to the porta-potty wash-out sink and use the wash down hose to fill the suction hose, or use a bucket (which is a lot faster). Try to hold the open end of the suction hose at about the same level as the pump (so you'll know when it's full) while filling, and close the ball valve when it's full. Then connect to your boat and open the ball valve. The check valve should keep the water from running back into your boat (in a perfect world), but if it doesn't, be ready to start pumping the handle right away!
I've spent some very frustrating time getting these to work properly, and have had some complete failures, making me drive all the way back to a marina to pump out.

I didn't mean to write a tutorial, but hope it helps!

GregC

Thanks Guys,
Those are both very helpful answers, I'm pretty sure my local feed store has the camlock fittings in stock. Just to confirm, the pumpout hoses at the dock have the female camlock fittings, so I need the male fitting as in Barts links? Judging by my Chapparal Owners forum the size is 1 1/2".

Free! It does take a special (though common) fitting. They are available for purchase at the marinas or online. I don't have the spec handy or I'd post an exact link. Sorry. Maybe someone with a better memory will chime in. It should be one of these two sizes. I think we keep both on our boat.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaLand-2-In...ie=UTF8&qid=1507873216&sr=8-2&keywords=nozall
https://www.amazon.com/Sealand-3103...ie=UTF8&qid=1507873216&sr=8-3&keywords=nozall
Has anyone had experience with the type of pump out fitting that has a flexible rubber insert in place of the threaded insert? I've seen these but can't find them online.

I'm late to this thread, but will add my $.02. Forget spending $25 for the poly deck adapters as they crack. For those on the south end, TruValue hardware (S end of the strip center 1 street west of Safeway) has heavy duty metal (aluminum?) ones for a very reasonable price. I've had mine for years thanks to the heads up posted by Weeds on this board years ago.

I'm late to this thread, but will add my $.02. Forget spending $25 for the poly deck adapters as they crack. For those on the south end, TruValue hardware (S end of the strip center 1 street west of Safeway) has heavy duty metal (aluminum?) ones for a very reasonable price. I've had mine for years thanks to the heads up posted by Weeds on this board years ago.
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for the metal deck adapters, but without luck. It's more convenient for me to buy online but a search doesn't produce results. Do you have a brand name for the metal adapter?

In SLC, Hose and Rubber Supply, located off of 3450 So 300W, usually stocks the fittings needed for marine pump outs. On the link that SEALEGS posted above, it's part "F".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back