Bird ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1113 I saw this Bird on the west side of Gregory Butte, what type of bird is it. Thanks
I think it is a young "Golden Eagle."

Here is a blurb from field ID on them:
"Color Pattern
Adult Golden Eagles are dark brown with a golden sheen on the back of the head and neck. For their first several years of life, young birds have neatly defined white patches at the base of the tail and in the wings."

I might be wrong but that is my bet,
Goblin

More info:
Keys to identification:
  • Size & Shape
    Golden Eagles are one of the largest birds in North America. The wings are broad like a Red-tailed Hawk's, but longer. At distance, the head is relatively small and the tail is long, projecting farther behind than the head sticks out in front.

• Color Pattern
    Adult Golden Eagles are dark brown with a golden sheen on the back of the head and neck. For their first several years of life, young birds have neatly defined white patches at the base of the tail and in the wings.

• Behavior
    Usually found alone or in pairs, Golden Eagles typically soar or glide with wings lifted into a slight “V” and the wingtip feathers spread like fingers. They capture prey on or near the ground, locating it by soaring, flying low over the ground, or hunting from a perch.

• Habitat
    Golden Eagles favor partially or completely open country, especially around mountains, hills, and cliffs. They use a variety of habitats ranging from arctic to desert, including tundra, shrublands, grasslands, coniferous forests, farmland, and areas along rivers and streams. Found mostly in the western half of the U.S., they are rare in eastern states.

Golden Eagle
Juvenile
  • Large raptor with long wings that bulge near body
  • Mostly dark brown overall
  • Juveniles show distinct white patches on wings and at base of tail
  • Often soars with wings held up at slight angle
FWIW
Goblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back