Big Blow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Moore

Was down 10-6-10-10 fishing. Couldn't find a striper for anything. Had another big blow on Sunday. Bullfrog dock was damaged again. Many boats broke loose including mine. Was able to get a man on board and hooked back up to the houseboat. This boat broke loose from the north buoy field and didn't fare well. Worst storm by far I've been in at the lake. Did catch a few Tuesday evening on kastmasters and chartreuse Oatman specials.

Attachments

• IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 280
We left Sunday morning. Must have been after that.

The Bullfrog docks were still pretty damaged from the last storm. And they weren't doing a lot of work to address it.

What's with these late season wind storms?

October is supposed to be a calm month.

Last edited:
I was anchored in Ice Cream Cove out of Wahweap Bay on Sunday night. The houseboat next to me, which had parked way too close, only had one anchor out, literally laid on top of the sand on the up wind side. I was pretty mad at him both for parking too close and not properly anchoring. His anchor dragged 4 feet through the sand while he was not even on his boat. I boarded his boat and looked for an additional anchor but could not find one. My only option was to pile about 2 or 300 pounds of sand on top of his anchor that was dragging across the beach. When he came back I told him what I had done. If his anchor would’ve come close loose and he would have gone broadside to the beach that would’ve been a very difficult lesson for him to learn. The only problem is that it would’ve wiped out my houseboat and runabout at the same time because he was way too close to me.

Before going to bed I turned the steering wheel into the wind and started both engines to make sure that we were ready to go then turned the engine off and slept through the night no problems.

The docks at Antelope Point Marina are still under repair from the first blow, there was no additional damage from the second blow

In the back of Bullfrog Bay with a houseboat and 3 small boats. The blow started about 8:15 in the evening, at 5:00 in the morning we were still watching anchors. Longest duration blow I have experienced at Powell. All boats and crew came through with no damage thanks to the efforts of all.

On a different note we went through the complete mussel inspection and decontamination at Bullfrog. Had friends pull their boat at Halls, no one manning the inspection station. Disappointing to say the least.

Was down 10-6-10-10 fishing. Couldn't find a striper for anything. Had another big blow on Sunday. Bullfrog dock was damaged again. Many boats broke loose including mine. Was able to get a man on board and hooked back up to the houseboat. This boat broke loose from the north buoy field and didn't fare well. Worst storm by far I've been in at the lake. Did catch a few Tuesday evening on kastmasters and chartreuse Oatman specials.
That HB had been slightly listing about a week before as our HB is buoyed near it. It was not listing excessively at that time ...

Was down the last few days and they had a construction crane ( on the beach ) lifting it upright ... not sure what happens after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back