BF Crappie fishing Nov. 7-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFL...NFL

Hello all, I'm from Idaho Falls. I joined the group this year. Thank you Wayne and all of you for sharing your knowedge and experiences. What a great group a fellow fisherman. Me and my Utah buddies head to Powell every spring in May for what we call The Striper Tour. We are lucky enough to be making a second trip this year. We'll be down there Nov. 7-10 to do the houseboat winterization with a side of fishing. Sounds like the sport fishery is shaping up well if we have another high water year in 2020. I have been reading some of the slow fishing reports and I'm hoping with water temperatures dropping we will have some luck on our trip. Normally we target Striped bass and smallies. It sounds like Smallies are abundant so we'll target them on this trip.

I have seen a little information about Crappie fishing but would really like to know if anyone can offer any tips or advice on jigs, lures, baits, locations, or techniques for them? With all the shad I'm hoping we can still trick some fish in to getting caught.

If anyone's there that weekend you're welcome to stop by The Alpine and say hello. We will let ya'll know how it goes on our trip and give a report and hopefully some photos of what we find.

Thanks,
Mike ... NFL

Last edited:
Crappie numbers are small but this is the best time of the year to catch some. There was a Good Hope Bay report on Anglers Corner today indicating a few crappie. Also the San Juan crappie fishing is best in early November. We will be there on the 4th through the 6th and if we catch some crappie I will report on the 7th.

Crappie numbers are small but this is the best time of the year to catch some. There was a Good Hope Bay report on Anglers Corner today indicating a few crappie. Also the San Juan crappie fishing is best in early November. We will be there on the 4th through the 6th and if we catch some crappie I will report on the 7th.
Thanks Wayne. We'll probably hit Good Hope Bay. I'll report how it goes. Good luck on your trip.

I rarely target crappie unless I run into an area, usually in the back of a canyon that has alot of submerged structure and around 20-30 feet. tumbleweeds and sticks. I use a small crappie jig is white or chartruese and start jigging. Not always productive but so much fun if they are there. The occasional crappie will be caught while going for sm. Good luck

in the goode olde days prior to striper and small mouth infestations- submerged cottomwoods were the lexus of crappy habitat in the late fall and the last crappie I produced was November 15 2018 at good hope near the spring in the same spot as 1972 chartruse feather jig still gets em they are few and far between take pictures and send them back! gone for ever are the days when 4 poles could fill the cooler in two hours. not a lot of fight but a lot of fun- so beautiful. good luck

Thanks for the tips and info on the jigs. I went and grabbed a few more to add to my collection, so we'll see what happens. If we don't catch anything it will still be a great trip. There's nothing better than hanging with good friends on the lake.

Ah yes ! Back in the day. First trip back in 80. You could rent a sweet center console Sea Ox with a 90 HP.
My buddies and were gonna rake it in with the oil shale boom going on the western Colorado. We blasted down to the Escalate from Bullfrog. Leaves were still on the submerged scrub oak !
Fished Explorer Canyon, and we caught one foot long crappie after another. Unfortunately, when we got back, Black Sunday happened and oil shale went bust ! Oh well.
Caught some this Spring up North. 1/8 ounce white jigs always produces fish !

Attachments

• IMG_E1177.JPG
    IMG_E1177.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 62
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back