beaches in Forgotten Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermine Tippel

Has anyone beached a houseboat in Forgotten Canyon or other canyons in that area? What is available for a medium sized houseboat?
Thanks,
Hermine Tippel
Oma's Haven

Depends on the lake level of course, but Forgotten Canyon usually has a few options. The best of these are in the second fork on the right, maybe 0.75 to 1 mile in from the main channel, where there are a few sandy beaches, especially at higher lake levels (which it isn't now). At the current lake level (3568), these are probably minimal (maybe not there at all), but you might get lucky. I'm attaching three images of the best beach potential in there when the lake is at 3587, 3593 and 3598, so you get the idea. Best guess is that by summertime, the lake will be closer to the 3590-3600 level shown in these images. From there it's about a one mile walk to Defiance House Ruin.

If this area turns out not to be good for anchoring, there's also a nice little cove on the right about 0.3 miles in from the main channel, which isn't ideal, but a rocky beach is possible for a houseboat.

Knowles Canyon at mile marker 109 (two miles north of Forgotten) has much better houseboat potential, with opportunities on both sides along its length no matter the lake level...

Attachments

• Forgotten 6-14-04  3587.jpg
    Forgotten 6-14-04 3587.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Forgotten 5-29-13  3598.jpg
    Forgotten 5-29-13 3598.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Forgotten 3-17-16  3593.jpg
    Forgotten 3-17-16 3593.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 55
Depends on the lake level of course, but Forgotten Canyon usually has a few options. The best of these are in the second fork on the right, maybe 0.75 to 1 mile in from the main channel, where there are a few sandy beaches, especially at higher lake levels (which it isn't now). At the current lake level (3568), these are probably minimal (maybe not there at all), but you might get lucky. I'm attaching three images of the best beach potential in there when the lake is at 3587, 3593 and 3598, so you get the idea. Best guess is that by summertime, the lake will be closer to the 3590-3600 level shown in these images. From there it's about a one mile walk to Defiance House Ruin.

If this area turns out not to be good for anchoring, there's also a nice little cove on the right about 0.3 miles in from the main channel, which isn't ideal, but a rocky beach is possible for a houseboat.

Knowles Canyon at mile marker 109 (two miles north of Forgotten) has much better houseboat potential, with opportunities on both sides along its length no matter the lake level...
that was very helpful. Thank. you!

It’s been quite a while since we visited Defiance House. You mentioned a mile walk to reach the ruins, I seem to recall parking the boat literally right there with a short ascent up a narrow cliff.

Is that possible at higher lake elevation or is my memory now worse than my grandchild’s attention span?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back