Battery Set Up Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I asked another question on my front sonar post but instead I'll just create another thread. Again thanks for everyone'e help and great input, this site is invaluable, if I'm becoming annoying with my questions, also feel free to tell me to shut up lol.

So eventually I will figure out my interference questions and set up for the front sonar. So my new question is this. We currently have three batteries, a dedicated 24 volt trolling motor set up and a single cranking battery (off the top of my head I'm not sure which grouping size it is but id guess 24). With our future set up of two units along with everything else that runs in the boat (including in the future will be two ports for running our gopros from the battery, so no more changing gopro batteries all the time), would you guys recommend getting another battery or just bumping up the size of the cranking battery? Another side note is that for 95% of the time the use will be as follows, front sonar on along with two gopros being charged. I think rarely we'd have both units on except when we will be spooning which wont be too often.

So would a group 31 size cranking battery be enough or get another battery? More info... we haven't had any power issues with our current set up, we are usually always using our 12 volt plug in to charge something and occasionally running something else. But with a couple bumps in use I'd like to feel better and either bump up size or add. Preferably bump up cranking size.

Thanks,

Preston

I have the same battery setup and i'm running helix 10 at console and 859 up front with no issues. My cranking battery is a group 24. Can leave both units on all day and use 12v plug and have never had an issue. I do charge nightly with my generator though. I do however have interference on the front unit while the helix is running at the console. Always thought it was a sonar issue and not a battery issue. Front sonar is run thru troller transducer.

Does your outboard have enough juice to charge all three batteries? I can't remember which motor you have, and I'm also not familiar with modern outboards! My ancient 2 stroke that I had many moons ago, I'm not even sure if it had an alternator, it might have just been a stator? Sounds like you've got plenty of available battery, if you can charge em up!

I miss the smell of an old 2 stroke!! We have a 13’ Mercury four stroke 115hp. It is suppose to have the biggest alternator in that class of motors. Sounding like we might not even need to upgrade the size of the cranking battery.

I miss the smell of an old 2 stroke!! We have a 13’ Mercury four stroke 115hp. It is suppose to have the biggest alternator in that class of motors. Sounding like we might not even need to upgrade the size of the cranking battery.
I think you're fine, since the cranker is a dedicated one. I always have a power-pack charged up to bring, for insurance "just in case" :cool:

I have a 115 merc 4 stroke and a similar 3 battery set up. 1 cranking and 2 deep cycle. I run a helix seven and a Lowrance seven. I use the plug in for fileting fish. I also run a marine radio. I have never run out of juice on any of my boats. I do check water level and clean connections regularly as well as keeping the charger going at night. I have also run a 12 volt green light at night without problems. Like you i am acutely aware of battery status and carry a volt meter to check status when in doubt. I had more problems with batteries when in storage at lake Powell due to hot dry conditions and winter. I take pretty long runs to fishing spots and will do some trolling to charge the cranking battery as well. I think you'll be ok.

The only time that I have had issues with the starting battery is when I am running the livewell all day and not running the aboard to recharge. I would say a group 27 or 31 will definitely give you more reserve as well as peace of mind if you have the room.

Thanks Tundra, just curious, what motor do you have?

I run a yamaha 90 hp 4 stroke. I also installed one of these for the long powell runs and for trolling with the big motor for stripers.
Sterling ProCharge-B Battery-to-Battery Charger - IP68 Waterproof - 12V In -24V out
It takes the charge from the alternator and distributes it to all three batteries. Not sure its necessary but helps utilize the alternator charge while on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back