Baitcasting Reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnpull

Can anyone give me the low down on a bait casting reel? I have never used one and would like to know more. Pretty happy with the spin casting reels I use, but never hurts to learn more and explore a little bit. Any comparisons between the two?

I'd almost guarantee this thread to go 3 pages! :) I had never used one since my very early days (like 50 or 60 years ago) that was really not a lot more than a winch to wind in catfish bait. I couldn't cast it more than 20 ft. ! I bought one a few years ago, got really frustrated learning how to use it, watched a lot of youtube video on how to make it work, and finally got it to work! Now it's my go-to rig for most bass. I still reach for my spinning rig from time -to-time, and I still backlash it on occasion ( especially when I'm trying to hurry to get back into a boil), but it will out cast my spinning rigs and reach out to a receding boil when they're going away. I like it!

GregC

I bought a decent baitcaster as my first one and practiced with it in the back yard alot before using it on the lake. It will outcast my spinning reel but is tricky to use in the wind and mine needs to be adjusted pretty well to give optimum performance. I don't get to fish enough to be proficient with it so I default to my spinning reel alot. A man can only take so much backlash. Practice is the key and get the magnets just right. Good luck. B

definitely make sure it has magnetic brakes and adjust them properly. I'm a novice but learned quickly because of those 2 things. I can cast with it just as good as my spin caster now. Also learned a trick to get rid of birds nests quickly.

If you are a natural right-hander and are used to holding your rod with your right hand and reeling with your left, I strongly recommend you get a bait caster with a left-hand crank. You'll be able to fish a lot longer and your hook setting ability will be much better. There are a lot of quality reels available now with left-hand cranks, so you should be able to find one that works for you. My other piece of advice is don't spend $250 or more for your first bait caster. There are plenty of reels within the $100 range or even less that are perfectly suitable for anything you'll encounter on Lake Powell. When I was a kid I saw anglers tackle big muskies and pike in Canada with those old round, red Ambassador 5000s. In fact my first bait caster was a 5000. They worked just fine on those fish. Once you get comfortable with a bait caster and really feel you need a major upgrade, you can do so at that time. But if you're just beginning it doesn't make sense to lay out a bunch of money when you can get a perfectly fine reel that will handle anything you'll likely encounter for much less. :)

Ed Gerdemann

gem morris said he knows a trick to get rid of birsnests quickly. ? The only one I know is pull harder, of course they don't me birdsnest for nothing.

Here's the birds nest trick:

There's better videos out there - this one just happened to be at the top of the search I did.

He knows how to make it work he just doesn't know why it works. The reason why it works is because it makes all the loops that are creating the birdsnest lay down parallel to each other so the line can come out without all the loops crossing over each other and preventing the line from coming free

I use Ed's advice - all my bait casters and trolling reels are left handed models (because I'm right handed ha ha). I have no idea who in the fish tackle industry started calling right-handed models left-handed models??!!

Last edited:
That is one cool video. makes sense, sort of. I've always just dealt with right/left, but I get it.

I love my baitcaster's, but the guy's that use spinning reel's, can cast a lot further, if distance matter's. I wish they made one, that you could cast a 1/16 oz jig, I would use them, and nothing else, and I'm talking baitcaster's. But as far as back lashing, I've been throwing them for thirty plus year's, and still backlash, every now and again. And anyone, that uses them, will. But you will get better, and better, at getting out the back lash's. And what I really like about them, is if your like me, and don't take care of them, they will still last you for year's, if you get a good one. If you get one, first thing you want to do, is start out with a heavy bait, and adjust it tight, to where it will barely fall off, when you hit the button, and as you get better, loosen it up, and throw lighter bait's. For catching bass, and striper's, I dont think you will regret buying one, I love Shimano, but they make a lot of good one's.
I sent four to a guy in Arkansaw, for rebuild, and he ask me if I wanted glass bearing's, instead of metal, he said, I would be able to spool the reel. I thought about it for a second, and thought, if it cast that much better, with glass bearing's, just think of what a backlash, you would have, so I just stayed with metal. Just my 2 since worth.
One more thing, if you use braid, and your catching 4 to 5 lb fish, it is bad to dig into it self, when you set the hook, then when you cast again, it will cut the line, and there goes your bait, flying through the air. This happen's a lot, when I fish for Striper's, in the boil's.
I think a lot of people grow up using a left handed spinning reel, and dont feel right cranking with the right hand.
Have a good one, what ever your fishing with.

KyKevin

I think once you get used to using one you'll love it... as said earlier they can't cast really light items very well. Another thing to consider is the rod your getting with it. I like a 7'0 or 7'3 mh rod for most lures at Powell. I love my baitcasters and hate using my fairy wands (spinning rods) . Some simple mechanics of the baitcaster. The knob under the handle under the star drag is used to control how fast the spool spins. As others have suggested you will want to turn it until the line barely moves when you first start to use it and loosen it slightly as you get more confidence. The dial on the other side controls the end of the cast braking. You use this when casting into the wind since the wind slows your bait down and your spool keeps spinning which results in a backlash. A good tip when your first using it is to cast it out, peel of some extra line then put electrical tape around the spool on the line. This prevents the line from tangling up past this point when your first getting used to it. It's going to frustrate you at first but once you get it down you'll love it.

On some reels like abu Garcia there's some little pins on the spool under the side plate that control some braking also. You can get on you tube to see them. They are easy to adjust.
I personally hate quantum I poof on them all the time. I like abu Garcia, and diawia, and the one shimano I own I like as well. I really like my cabelas brand arachnid. It's made by diawia for cabelas and is on sell right now for $125

You can a Garcia for 50$, they are easy to adjust and cast, I think the rod choice is critical, I would get a 7' medium action

I like the Shimano Curado. Add some 17-20 lb mono or flouro carbon line to it. It seems the bigger diameter birds nests less, though you do lose a little casting distance. I like to tie on a half ounce weight and walk out to my back yard and practice casting. I will set up a 5 gallon bucket or wheel barrow and try to get my lure in it. That will give you some time to get used to using a bait caster. This will pay off in the future when you get out to go fishing. Watch some videos on how to adjust and cast a baitcaster. Better to get the birds nests in your back yard than on the lake.
Good Luck!

Lots of good info. Thanks all. I just got one all set up. Hopefully I'll have some time to test it out in the yard tomorrow before leaving for the lake on Wednesday morning, otherwise I might just have some baptism by fire to deal with. It does seem the benefits of a baitcaster is worth the time it takes to learn it.

Which part of the lake will you be on? I am headed to San Juan tomorrow through Sat. I'll be in a white Trophy Bayliner. Come say hi if you're in that neck of the lake! Good luck with the new set up.
Ty

Which part of the lake will you be on? I am headed to San Juan tomorrow through Sat. I'll be in a white Trophy Bayliner. Come say hi if you're in that neck of the lake! Good luck with the new set up.
Ty
We will be staying in bullfrog and riding out from there. We will probably make it to the rincon / escalante on one of the days....maybe good hope on another. I have yet to get out to the San Juan, but really need to make that one happen one of these days. Good luck out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back