August 13 - 19, Mid Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
This was our first trip out on our new-to-us houseboat partnership.

This trip was put together rather quickly, so we only had 9 people. 5 of our "regulars" and one family of 4 joined us.

Water temp was great. Temps during the day were hot, but cooler than July. Lots of haze from the fires, we didn't have our usual blue skies. Nights were hot, and the generator wasn't operating as well as I would like. Still, it would run for 4-5 hours which cooled down the cabin. Many nights we slept inside in the cool, which was a nice change.

We motored down to Rincon, and camped there. We took our little boat up to Annie's Canyon and down to Escalante. And quite a bit of water sports.

Still working on some videos, but here are some photos.

mOTLYOO.jpg

87fZOSE.jpg

Sunrise through the smoke.

5lllY3T.jpg

Beautiful sunset in Rincon.
g6tpxxh.jpg

p2reJzK.jpg

We were fortunate enough to see our Armed Forces doing some training. They flew very low.
Mro6Zj2.jpg

3bNScog.jpg

oQIIsTg.jpg

hIeCPBy.jpg

Now, if I could only figure out some Dundee-style video editing, I could get those on here too. Stay tuned. ;)

Love the pics, Ryan! In your second post, 5th picture down, there's an aerial view of your houseboat. I wonder what the large underwater object is near the right corner??? Rock or sunken boat???

Tiff

Love the pics, Ryan! In your second post, 5th picture down, there's an aerial view of your houseboat. I wonder what the large underwater object is near the right corner??? Rock or sunken boat???

Tiff
Tiff-

Speaking of sunken boats, who do we report this one to? I'm sure it's known, but do have to wonder why it hasn't been retrieved. It's in Ribbon Canyon, in an alcove on the right

Attachments

• IMG_7985.JPG
    IMG_7985.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_7986.JPG
    IMG_7986.JPG
    614.6 KB · Views: 146

Tiff
It sure does look like a boat, doesn't it? I never went over in that area, and didn't see it when I was doing the videos. That said, our crew paddle boarded over there, and mentioned a shelf, but no sunken boat.

Tiff-

Speaking of sunken boats, who do we report this one to? I'm sure it's known, but do have to wonder why it hasn't been retrieved. It's in Ribbon Canyon, in an alcove on the right

PowellBride, that's "Guido!" We found that boat back in 2005 when the water was 155 feet below full. That year, Jim Cross and his crew donated their time to pull out all the known boat wrecks on Powell. Too bad they missed that one. Maybe NPS can come get it? Are those recent pics? The water seems to be dropping a foot a week now. It would be really easy to winch it up and get it out of there. Here are some pics of Guido we took at various water levels.

Tiff
thumbnail-3.jpegthumbnail-2.jpegthumbnail-5.jpegthumbnail-6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back