Are fat fish more meaty, or just bigger around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

Wayne you’ve indicated the fish are fatter... does this mean they produce thicker larger fillets, or are they just bigger because their bellies and reproductive organs are enlarged inside?

Wayne you’ve indicated the fish are fatter... does this mean they produce thicker larger fillets, or are they just bigger because their bellies and reproductive organs are enlarged inside?
I’m not Wayne but the fillets are much thicker and solid than the skinny fish we were catching not long ago... I’m talking 4-5 times thicker!
They are in great shape right now... better than I have seen in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second that. The fish I caught late in the fall had fillets at least 4 times thicker than ones caught in May and even twice as thick as fish caught in August. It’s been many years since I have seen fillets that thick. Go back and look at Dungee’s post showing his chunks of fish ready to cook. Take more zip lock bags, you will need them.

I second that. The fish I caught late in the fall had fillets at least 4 times thicker than ones caught in May and even twice as thick as fish caught in August. It’s been many years since I have seen fillets that thick. Go back and look at Dungee’s post showing his chunks of fish ready to cook. Take more zip lock bags, you will need them.

Yes, in your average year, I’d say we could get like 2, MAYBE 3 nuggets from each Striper fillet. This year it was like 6 nuggets from each one. And that was after trimming every ounce of red meat off each side which we don’t usually do.

Thanks Waynes! ;)

Sorry about my ignorance, I just started fishing in 2017 (which was the first time at Powell as an adult) so I’ve got no point of reference.

I must admit I was shocked how little meat would come off most fish especially Striper and I would often prefer to catch and release than break my back cleaning them..

I learned Walleye even little ones had great filets but were also very elusive.

In 2018 I caught a 28” 4-6 pound Striper (can’t find the photo of the scale) in the back of Navajo which Wayne actually cleaned for me and the fillets that came off it were smaller than a Walley 1/2 its size.

I’m hoping to stock up the freezer this year... you guys are all getting me stoked for the season.

We put 108 hours on our (new) boat in 43 fishing trips 2017-2019 and since last summer have only added 8 more hours due to my new job.

this year we’ve got 5 Powell trips planned so hopefully we can put another 30-40 hours on her and store up 20-30 pounds of fillets for a years supply of fish tacos!

Happy fishing!

Chris -- just look at the stripers that you catch. Look at their backs, from the top of the fish down. You want a "round" fish. You do not want a fish with a concave shape -- those fish we call "razorbacks". Those fish are starving and atrophying. They may still have a large belly, which could be explained by numerous conditions such as a recent meal, eggs, or possibly even the swim bladder. Look at their back to see if your going to get any filet from them or not. If they are concave in shape -- toss 'em in the grinder.

Them fish got shoulders on them. 😋💪
More muscle and more meat,a much better fighter and definitely a much better eating fish. Keep a good grip on your rods this spring 😉. I can't wait to get there myself. I've been practicing my filleting skills on the crappie at Bartlett which are also in excellent condition and the largemouth fatter than I have ever seen there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back