Archived Fishing Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
If you look back at the old WW.com site you can access fish reports back to 1996 and Anglers Corner reports back to 2000. How many of you use these old reports?

I will get lots of questions for advice on where to go and how to fish in 2019. Another approach is to look at the water level and the date planned for your upcoming trip. Match that water level with fish reports from the past. Anglers Corner reports give detailed information about a specific trip at a certain location that may be close to where you want to fish in the coming year, or it might guide you to a spot that you have not used before. There will be some differences caused by forage abundance, but if you select the water level now and use that to guide you to the right year when the water level was the same in January, you can look at reports from that year to give you a lead to the right spot and time.

I ask these question as I am considering what to do in the future with old fish reports located on WW.com. If no one uses them it is possible to just use new reports already on WW.net that go back to 2017. We can move older reports over to the new site that go back to about 2010. Or we can get a storage device where we can keep all the reports available. I think this is what I will do. I have a lot invested in these old reports.

What is your opinion considering that the old website (WW.Com) is outdated and needs to be redone. The Joomla platform used on WW.com can no longer be upgraded so a change is needed.

There are many that just use WW.com and do not know there is a new WW.net I need to continue to get them to look at WW.net in 2019.

Any suggestions?

I use them while planning every trip. Invaluable to say the least. Wherever they go it would be awesome to be able to reference them in the future. No matter how many trips to the lake I always review those reports prior to leaving. As to water levels, I am pretty ridiculous about them because I learned early on that my honey holes come and go by the year. I try to take pictures of various good areas at different low levels so I know where to go when the water comes up. Every little bit contributs to succes, so THANKS for being so diligent!

TR

Just as TR mentioned, we have and do use the archived anglers corner posts religiously. Saving those so they can be referenced again in the future would be invaluable and much appreciated.

A couple suggestions or thoughts about detouring people towards .net... I don't know how active on facebook you are Wayne, but multiple times I will see posts on the "Utah Anglers Report" page that continue to reference the old site, I try to correct and redirect as best I can. Maybe a post from you clarifying the new site etc. would help some.

Also, I am certainly no computer wiz but aren't there things you can do to divert searches to the old .com that will instantly redirect to the new .net?

Lastly, next time (and every time) you're on with Adam on KSL make sure he gives you a few seconds to reference the new site. He let you mention your site in the 2017 boil episode but it directed people to the .com site. Your late spring walleye episode last year didnt mention anything about the site. I think that would help a lot. Thanks for all your great work Wayne!

Preston

Just as TR mentioned, we have and do use the archived anglers corner posts religiously. Saving those so they can be referenced again in the future would be invaluable and much appreciated.

A couple suggestions or thoughts about detouring people towards .net... I don't know how active on facebook you are Wayne, but multiple times I will see posts on the "Utah Anglers Report" page that continue to reference the old site, I try to correct and redirect as best I can. Maybe a post from you clarifying the new site etc. would help some.

Also, I am certainly no computer wiz but aren't there things you can do to divert searches to the old .com that will instantly redirect to the new .net?

Lastly, next time (and every time) you're on with Adam on KSL make sure he gives you a few seconds to reference the new site. He let you mention your site in the 2017 boil episode but it directed people to the .com site. Your late spring walleye episode last year didn't mention anything about the site. I think that would help a lot. Thanks for all your great work Wayne!

Preston
Great advice - I am working with Ron Colby and Bart now to move everything to WW.Net and then change the address of the New page back to WW.com. That would work for almost everyone - I think! We will see how that goes.

I use them while planning every trip. Invaluable to say the least. Wherever they go it would be awesome to be able to reference them in the future. No matter how many trips to the lake I always review those reports prior to leaving. As to water levels, I am pretty ridiculous about them because I learned early on that my honey holes come and go by the year. I try to take pictures of various good areas at different low levels so I know where to go when the water comes up. Every little bit contributs to succes, so THANKS for being so diligent!

TR
I am the exact same way @TR. ! Lake elevation dictates where I will fish/camp quite often. Back in the 90's before I ever knew the water data website existed, I used to ask the Ranger upon entry the current lake elavaton on EVERY trip, and I would write the date, and elevation on the back of the envelope of my truck registration. Sort of my own "archive" :cool:

You can get a daily water level report by calling this local Page phone number 928 645 3978. This may give you a number that is not a day old if that makes a difference.

Today's phone recording (Dec 31st) states the lake level taken at midnight last night was 3581.98. Its not likely that you can pass through the Castle Rock Cut now without lifting the prop to a 45 degree angle. Watch closely for rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back