April 3, 2018 - Bass in Warm Creek Tuesday, Chris Romero

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
With the worst case of spring fever either of us have ever experienced, my 11 year old son and I made the the 2 hour drive from flagstaff for a day of fishing. We were well aware that current water temps were a bit on the low side, but with the current forecast, we were hoping to find some warmer afternoon water. We started the morning in Whaweap, as expected, fishing was slow, landing only a handful of smallmouth and one super skinny striper. On the bright side, all the smallmouth ranged between 2-3 lbs. Water temps in Wahweap ranged from 53° to 56°.After making the rounds in Whaweap, we made our way into warmcreek. To our surprise, the water temps were much warmer, by late afternoon we were fishing water 59°- 62°.Fishing markedly improved. With our trusty tube jigs and single tail hula grubs, we managed to boat 12 healthy smallmouth and a single 2 lb large mouth in the final hour before our departure for the high country. As we trailered the boat, we felt only slight disappointment that our brief day trip had come to an end, instead our conversation and thoughts were consumed with hard fighting smallmouth and planning our next trip.

Thank you for all your work. With information provided by you and the Lake Powell fishing community, my son has developed a passion for angling, boating and Lake Powell that will last a lifetime. Priceless.
With the worst case of spring fever either of us have ever experienced, my 11 year old son and I made the the 2 hour drive from flagstaff for a day of fishing. We were well aware that current water temps were a bit on the low side, but with the current forecast, we were hoping to find some warmer afternoon water. We started the morning in Wahweap, as expected, fishing was slow, landing only a handful of smallmouth and one super skinny striper. On the bright side, all the smallmouth ranged between 2-3 lbs. Water temps in Wahweap ranged from 53° to 56°.
After making the rounds in Wahweap, we made our way into Warm Creek. To our surprise, the water temps were much warmer, by late afternoon we were fishing water 59°- 62°. Fishing markedly improved. With our trusty tube jigs and single tail hula grubs, we managed to boat 12 healthy smallmouth and a single 2 lb large mouth in the final hour before our departure for the high country. As we trailered the boat, we felt only slight disappointment that our brief day trip had come to an end, instead our conversation and thoughts were consumed with hard fighting smallmouth and planning our next trip.
Thank you for all your work. With information provided by you and the Lake Powell fishing community, my son has developed a passion for angling, boating and Lake Powell that will last a lifetime. Priceless.
romeroson_edited-1.jpg

romero2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back