Apr 1st-4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Allan

We spent 4 days at Powell last week unknowing that it would be closed this week. We spent time in the San Juan. Water temperatures were 55-60.5. It was windy on Wednesday and Thursday but fishing was good. We caught LMB, SMB, crappie, bluegill, and even had a carp take a tube jig! We did not catch one striper- are they spawning already? We trolled for a few hours with lures on top and also used down riggers at all depths. Couldn't find them in the backs of bays or on the main lake. All of our other fish were caught in water up to 25' deep. We caught them on tubes, jigs, ned rigs and spinner baits.
I will be missing our end of April-early May trip this year.
I hope all will be safe and blessed with good health out there! See you on the lake at a future date!
Regards,
Ty

Attachments

• IMG_2217[1].JPG
    IMG_2217[1].JPG
    610 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2225[1].JPG
    IMG_2225[1].JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2231[1].JPG
    IMG_2231[1].JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2232[1].JPG
    IMG_2232[1].JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2235[1].JPG
    IMG_2235[1].JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 228
We spent 4 days at Powell last week unknowing that it would be closed this week. We spent time in the San Juan. Water temperatures were 55-60.5. It was windy on Wednesday and Thursday but fishing was good. We caught LMB, SMB, crappie, bluegill, and even had a carp take a tube jig! We did not catch one striper- are they spawning already? We trolled for a few hours with lures on top and also used down riggers at all depths. Couldn't find them in the backs of bays or on the main lake. All of our other fish were caught in water up to 25' deep. We caught them on tubes, jigs, ned rigs and spinner baits.
I will be missing our end of April-early May trip this year.
I hope all will be safe and blessed with good health out there! See you on the lake at a future date!
Regards,
Ty

I'm not one to get jealous, but I am now! Our late April trip has been postponed and I'm seriously bummed.

Those fish are awesome! Many moons ago, we would land 15"-17" Crappie frequently. I hope those days return.

Thanks for report. We are all jealous. Looks quite a bit of snow on Navajo Mountain.

It seems like we caught more crappie than usual. Hopefully they continue to get bigger and more abundant.
Navajo did have a good amount of snow on it. That picture was taken on Saturday. There was more when we arrived on Wednesday. The warmer temps are causing some melt down it looks like. I hope Powell water levels continue to rise!

Thanx for putting that beauty back! Now there will be more Crappie.

Its possible for crappie to have a good spawning year if we can get the lake to come up 10 feet in the next few weeks. That big crappie could produce a lot of offspring. We had a great crappie year class last year. If we could do that again this year I might even keep a crappie or two in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back