Anyone fishing out of Hite or Halls/Bullfrog, Thanksgiving weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarzArz

We are considering trying to get to Powell over the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. If we do, likely Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The weather forecast is looking good, just need to make up our minds.
I was wondering who we might run across? if we do go, we are unsure as to whether it will be Hite, Halls, or Bullfrog?

Maybe we will cross paths, or in any event Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited:
We’ll be launching out of Hite on Friday about noon - staying in a truck camper on the shore - white dually dodge and Lance camper. My friends boat is a custom weld aluminum jet boat. Say hi and we can compare notes. We’ll go home Monday morning

"Hite Guys" What would the "low water" launch level be for Hite this winter for a 16' Bass Tracker ?? (assuming I would have to take the Lance off the truck to launch) Sq

I’ll let you know what launch conditions are like when I get back - I assume absolute minimum lake level to launch at the primitive Hite ramp would be something like 3615

Well, looking at the weather report (especially WIND forecast), and... looking at the Webcams today on the lake, and...ongoing discussion with our spouses (both mine and our sons)...we are "GO" for Powell! lol
The discussion was not what you think, my wife really wants to go, and is bummed she has some commitments, so can't make it.
Looks like I'm leaving work in Albuquerque tomorrow, Wednesday, about the same time our son is leaving work in Salt Lake and we are both headed to Hite. Should be on the water Thursday AM, hopefully enjoying Thanksgiving on Good Hope Bay!
Plan to fish Thursday, Friday and Saturday! Since it is just the two of us, we will be traveling light, leaving the truck and camper home, sleeping in our vehicles. So, the silver Jeep FJ and gray Suburban with the Red Tin Tracker bass boat will be us.
Gem, look forward to a chance to meet you along the way. Hoping all goes as planned...gotta go hook up the boat and load the truck. Upon our return, we will plan to submit a report and a few pictures, if all goes well!
Happy Thanksgiving to all the Word-ling families!
Based on our track record this fall, I suspect we may trigger the first Hurricane at Lake Powell, but hoping we are living right! LOL

Sounds great barzarz - I’ll watch for you. We don’t generally go as far south as GHB - mostly stay up around Whites, Farley’s, Trachyte, 2 mile and 4 mile. I’m gonna try to duplicate Kentucky Kevin’s success on night fishing for crappie and we’ll be doing lots of trolling with downriggers trying to locate some active schools. Please say hi if you see us - I’ll be happy to share any successful techniques we’ve stumbled on.

"Hite Guys" What would the "low water" launch level be for Hite this winter for a 16' Bass Tracker ?? (assuming I would have to take the Lance off the truck to launch) Sq

Not sure that question is answerable. Way too many variables at Hite to make an accurate prediction. With the right amount of determination and stupidity the low water would definitely be around where Gem said at 3615ish.

Sounds great barzarz - I’ll watch for you. We don’t generally go as far south as GHB - mostly stay up around Whites, Farley’s, Trachyte, 2 mile and 4 mile. I’m gonna try to duplicate Kentucky Kevin’s success on night fishing for crappie and we’ll be doing lots of trolling with downriggers trying to locate some active schools. Please say hi if you see us - I’ll be happy to share any successful techniques we’ve stumbled on.
Sounds good! We plan to fish some up that way as well. We are still newbies at this and the Hite area as well. Looking forward to it!
We will see what we find and are happy to share whatever we can figure out. We would love to learn more on hooking up with some of those big Crappie!
Thanks!

Just got back yesterday, launching was easy, even by myself. Allso saw four boat's, on the water, as I was leaving. Gem, I caught 5 Crappie 2lb, and one 2lb 3 oz, 15 1/2 inch. The bite was a little bit slower this trip, but the blue gill's were still in the shallow's, and caught 17 Crappie, for the two night's fished, but they are some healthy one's, smallest are a little over a pound. I allso caught a few Walleye's, at night, and they are fat, 18 inch, and 2.1, and 2 lb. I want to go back, and Walleye fish, but don't know if that's going to happen.

Allso, Striper's were in, what I call the river, everything from Hite to Farley's, in 20 to 30 ft of water. Umbrella rig's were working, But this last trip, I never fished for Striper, that's a first. But you can catch them, all winter, so I put the time in for my favorite eating fish, Bluegill. I caught 50 nice hand size Bluegill's Monday. WE ate some last night, as pour man lobster, boiled and in a butter sauce, or in cocktail sauce, and man they were good.
Good luck fishing, and have a good one.
KyKevin

Thank you Kevin! Great to hear from you. I have my umbrella rigs locked and loaded. Got a new 180 LED light that is easily 10 times brighter than my old light and a 6' cast net. Watch out crappie!!

When I got there Sunday evening, I went to the very back of North wash, in 4 to 6 ft of water, on the right side, there is brush, all the way to the back, throw as close as you can to the edge. Or if your lucky, they will be popping the surface, and show you where there at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back