Antelope Point public launch ramp - When will it open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slenn

Any guess when Antelope public boat launch will open? The Lake Powell Water Data website shows it "open & usable" but I was there this past weekend and it was still closed :-( Please reply if anyone confirms it opened. I'm heading to the Powell this Friday and prefer to use Antelope if possible.

Many Thanks!
-Slenn

Yesterday afternoon (Monday, 6/10), it looked like the cement barricades had been removed from the bottom of the ramp, so they are preparing for an opening soon. (the barricades were there on Friday, 6/7)

Last edited:
I actually came here to ask the same question. I am also leaving for Powell on Friday and I was told that the wait time for the Valet service at Antelope this last week was in excess of two hours. At the current rate the lake is rising you would think it would be open by this weekend, but the park service also doesn't have the best reputation for getting things done quickly.

I actually came here to ask the same question. I am also leaving for Powell on Friday and I was told that the wait time for the Valet service at Antelope this last week was in excess of two hours. At the current rate the lake is rising you would think it would be open by this weekend, but the park service also doesn't have the best reputation for getting things done quickly.
The APM valet service line to launch or retrieve was very long this past weekend. I don't know timewise, but there were 10-15 boats in the water outside the launch ramp waiting for pickup much of the time, and the line of new boats to launch on top was the same - 10-15 waiting when I saw it personally. NPS was also up on top at APM checking boats for mussel compliance. I had not seen that before.

I'd be pretty confident that the APM public ramp will be open very soon if it isn't already today; definitely by this weekend.

Valet folks are very nice, but the wait was long pulling out Sunday afternoon. Call 30-45 minutes ahead when you are 15 minutes out from the ramp.

Watching for current report on opening of the ramp. We have 4 boats launching tomorrow and planning to go to AP public ramp. Anybody know a phone number to call for current status? I'll look around and call if I find a reliable person at NPS. Will post results.

Thanks, Wayne. I just talked to receptionist too. She said they are still waiting for higher water level before opening it. Uh, I call that steer manure. 6 feet is more than adequate for safe launching. Now, having said that, maybe the tire line is too close for safe manuevering? Dunno. She thought it would be open by the weekend.

I just called NPS and apparently the launch ramp at Antelope is still closed. They say it is because the lake level is still too low, I told them I used the ramp last September when the lake level was right at where it is now and this just seemed to annoy them. They said they couldn't give me a date it would be open but they "hoped" it would be open by this weekend. I am leaving Salt Lake early tomorrow morning to head down, I am no longer optimistic it will be open when I arrive.

So irritating that they attribute their incompetence at providing service to the lake level. Thanks for update, will head to Stateline or Wahweap. We store on east side of Page, so AP is much more covienent.

I was on the lake near AP Marina the week of May 27. The end of the concrete forming the ramp was out of the water and some of the base on which the ramp had been poured was washed out from under the concrete. This might be why NPS is waiting for the water level to get higher before opening.

Plan on launching Saturday morning, hope it's open. Question though, It looks to be a little closer mileage wise to launch from State line/Wahweap if one would be going to Gunsight bay?

The distance to Gunsight is about the same from either ramp. If you launched from Stateline you would be sure it was open.

If you're into splitting hairs.... According to Google Earth:
6.6 mi from AP public to Warm Creek & Main Channel intersection.
6.0 mi from Stateline to Warm Creek & Main Channel.
5.6 mi from Wahweap to Warm Creek & Main Channel but you walk an extra mile to park your truck. :ROFLMAO:

If you're into splitting hairs.... According to Google Earth:
6.6 mi from AP public to Warm Creek & Main Channel intersection.
6.0 mi from Stateline to Warm Creek & Main Channel.
5.6 mi from Wahweap to Warm Creek & Main Channel but you walk an extra mile to park your truck. :ROFLMAO:
The distance to Gunsight is about the same from either ramp. If you launched from Stateline you would be sure it was open.

That is what I thought, wasn't much of a noticeable difference, I guess avoiding part the Maytag Straight is a plus leaving out of Stateline/Wahweap. Thanks for the response!

Last edited:
I see little reason to use the Antelope Point ramp when the Castle Rock Cut is open. I gave up on it when they decided to open at 7:00 a.m. which is far too late for this fisherman. Are they opening any earlier now? ❓

Ed Gerdemann

I see little reason to use the Antelope Point ramp when the Castle Rock Cut is open. I gave up on it when they decided to open at 7:00 a.m. which is far too late for this fisherman. Are they opening any earlier now? ❓

Ed Gerdemann
I assume the same regulations will apply to Antelope ramp as the other ramps which are open 24 hours a day. But, NPS has less authority at Antelope, so I will have to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back