Antelope Point 7-22 & 7-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingfoolBG

New member and first time on Powell. Launched right at sunlight, surprised we were the only one there. After making a run towards the dam, with just a slight breeze we rolled up on a small boil. We didn't see them until we were almost on top of them. Frantically grabbing rods we managed to catch one before they went under. Made the run to Antelope Canyon and came up empty. Taking the advice from the forum about choppy water in the main channel we left Antelope around 9am and made the run towards Navajo Canyon. Thankfully the tour boat passed us while we were fishing In Antelope. (Running a 17' pro craft with a 120 Mercury Force). Found a point that looked fishy and started chuming. Few minutes later we were getting into strip bass. Ended up with around 20 between my brother and I before we went searching for a camp. Got there at dusk, anchored off, setup camp, fillet fish and woke before sun up and was back at it. Morning fishing was great, ended up with 10 more fish by 10am, all on anchovies. Few catfish in the mix as well. Made it back to Antelope Point by 11am to make the long drive back to New Mexico. Sure was an amazing trip, already planning a second trip for October!

Attachments

• IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    445 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 176
Wayne, just looking at his Striper's, and one of them has the broken stripe's in it. I thought the broken stripe's, meant Hybrid. Maybe you can explain this to us. I catch a lot of them most year's.
Thanks

Wayne, just looking at his Striper's, and one of them has the broken stripe's in it. I thought the broken stripe's, meant Hybrid. Maybe you can explain this to us. I catch a lot of them most year's.
Thanks

While most stripers have straight lateral lines I have noticed for years that many (10-20 %) have broken lines. Its been that way since the beginning so I am sure that the fish in Lake Powell are all regular striped bass many of which have broken lines on the sides.

I have caught many with broken stripes. I think when competing for forage there is a lot of crashing into each other and the damage heals a little cockeyed. Just my idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back