Another Great Trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianID

I just arrived home from a 3 1/2 days of fishing at Powell. It was great fishing as usual. I didn't catch a fish every cast but was able to make up for some of the fishless casts with a few doubles.
mPuSgttfQ+Kd%ZzrRYOYwg.jpgfullsizeoutput_698.jpeg

I was mostly targeting smallmouths but I'm happy to set the hook on anything that would bite. I caught smallmouth on various crankbaits, topwater baits, ned rigs, Yamamoto grubs, senkos, drop shot, under spin(aka road runner), in line spinner and a few on fly rod. You can catch them however you want to fish. They were aggressive and didn't mind the baits moving fast. I caught many on crankbaits reeling my high speed reel as fast as I could crank it and did well with 1/2 oz and even 1 oz jig heads with Yamamoto grubs. I still caught them with slower moving baits like drop shot and lighter weight Ned rigs or slower moving crankbaits but why fish slow when you can cover water fast. I tried various colors and they all worked well. I would still stick with shad, bluegill or crawfish colors but I'm sure you could catch them on a pink lure if you wanted to. The action and depth of the lure and fishing a good location were much more important than color. I caught smallmouth in very shallow water and as deep as 40 feet. Even though I could catch them shallow I found it was worth my time to let my Ned rig to sink to at least 10 feet and some cast to 20 feet or more.
Fyy7TjdxSj265BT0VJN8Xw.jpgvFfP8Qg%Q4SRq0pNWXAV4Q.jpg45tOy07aTAu68EyBEJswlQ.jpguBIYB6wqQiOaGWJo5ZHNNg.jpg

One nice surprise was the number and quality of the largemouth bass. I use to catch maybe 5 largemouth a day and this trip I caught at least 20 per day. Last year was good for largemouths as well. I've been fishing Powell for about 30 years and would estimate largemouth normally only make up 5% of my black bass catch. Largemouths made up about 10% of my black bass catch this trip. I still have never caught a 5lbs+ bass from Lake Powell but a couple from this trip I would have claimed to be 5lbs if they had gotten away.
7jFZFnO3RR6Dys3+liCIyA.jpggfsmSs66StSqaKn3J4RrZw.jpgr3RIkiMITfKnDY%V5Nqm1Q.jpgzC08lxpoT%SpI%gvMI3WTQ.jpgkknFOxFnRwmzv7NG1SfA4g.jpgnHRs2aEBRTOzbixk51d6Jg.jpg

The striper fishing was also good. I caught more incidental stripers while targeting smallmouths than most years. I even caught one in 3 feet of water in the back of a cove but most were in 20+ feet of water.
D9QlPK9LRRiAqVpgHCkHbQ.jpgNRHUrP51TS+Rd7%E6mbASw.jpg
I learned a new technique for white bass this winter and found it very effective on stripers. It is an inline spinner developed by a white bass guide in Texas for a vertical retrieve called the MAL lure. I'll post some more information about it in a few days when I have time.
jY9MzdRKR1+YEKynt7SQsw.jpg
I bought a couple lucky craft pointers a few years ago to try at Lake Powell and finally got around to using one this trip. It is a good lure that Wayne has suggested and has much less "drag" than my normal deep diving crankbaits.
fullsizeoutput_699.jpeg
I would estimate I saw an average of only 10 slurps per day but I was never actively searching for them. I did have a fly rod rigged and ready but also caught slurping stripers on lipless crankbaits and road runners. In all honesty, it would be more effective to use my bait casting rod to target stripers but casting a fly is fun. I was able to catch at least one striper in 8 of the 10 slurps I attempted to cast to. There were several other slurps I attempted to position my boat to fish but was unsuccessful.
4yJ4Ed1uSH2IqmdtQay8mw.jpgfullsizeoutput_69a.jpeg
I'll post some more information in a few days when I have time. I'm already looking forward to my next trip to Lake Powell. Thank you Wayne and all the other regulars on WW that make this a great website.

Attachments

• GTla3EbFTn+52vDtuPRP3A.jpg
    GTla3EbFTn+52vDtuPRP3A.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 155
  • ijFn3PmCR6WrquR4lf6cOQ.jpg
    ijFn3PmCR6WrquR4lf6cOQ.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 204
Very nice. Any walleyes ? North lake or south ?
I caught walleye but not many. With the water temperature warming up I think they are less active and many are probably deeper than the water I was fishing. I was also fishing my lures too fast most of the time and wasn't tipping my lures with bait.
q1FV3t4qT%2V2L+CCQHHgg.jpg
I launched at Halls and went as far south as mile marker 56, up Escalante and about 22 miles up the San Juan past Neskahi Wash were the water changed from clear to stained and then more muddy. Even caught my biggest smallmouth of the trip right by Halls boat ramp. I could have saved time and gas money if I didn't drive around so much but part of the fun in Lake Powell is exploring different areas. Fishing was good everywhere with the exception of the dirty water up in the San Juan. I could still catch a few in the dirty water but my catch rate was maybe 10% of many other places. I think I would have seen more slurps if I had gone north toward Good Hope Bay.

I caught walleye but not many. With the water temperature warming up I think they are less active and many are probably deeper than the water I was fishing. I was also fishing my lures too fast most of the time and wasn't tipping my lures with bait.
View attachment 13492
I launched at Halls and went as far south as mile marker 56, up Escalante and about 22 miles up the San Juan past Neskahi Wash were the water changed from clear to stained and then more muddy. Even caught my biggest smallmouth of the trip right by Halls boat ramp. I could have saved time and gas money if I didn't drive around so much but part of the fun in Lake Powell is exploring different areas. Fishing was good everywhere with the exception of the dirty water up in the San Juan. I could still catch a few in the dirty water but my catch rate was maybe 10% of many other places. I think I would have seen more slurps if I had gone north toward Good Hope Bay.
Awesome! did you go into Halls Creek Bay at all? Wondering about campsites. Headed there next week.

That's a great report like the way you left the lures in the fish. Thanks for sharing.
Most of the bigger fish were caught on topwater and crankbaits so that is why they are in most the pictures. Burnt orange and I really think most any lure you like to use would catch fish right now. The small fish would still eat the crankbaits but the crankbaits kept many of the small ones off the hook better than the Ned rig, Yamamoto grubs or smaller drop shot worms. Some of the little guys still thought they were big enough to eat my crankbaits.
PQ4gwO+pS9iz6LtW7chygA.jpg
One problem with the diving crankbaits is the muscles and I usually bounce them off the bottom several times during every cast to trigger bites. With the muscle thicker this June because the lack of rise in water level, I had my line cut many times. 16lb fluorocarbon line without any nicks in it would get cut from one light tick against the wrong muscle. Most of the time I could get my lure back when it floated to the surface but I wasted a lot of time retying.

Awesome! did you go into Halls Creek Bay at all? Wondering about campsites. Headed there next week.
I didn't go back far into Halls, there were too many boats and the now more narrow bay made for some rough water. As long as you don't mind camping close to others, I'm sure you could find a spot. I didn't try stripers there this trip but I've done well for stripers in the past on the north and south canyon wall at the mouth of Halls.

Great report, thanks for sharing. I like the look of the inline spinner. Look forward to hearing how you presented to the stripers.

Here is a link a post I made with more information about the MAL.

View attachment 13492
When you were up on the San Juan past Neskahi, was there much debris in the water?

When you were up on the San Juan past Neskahi, was there much debris in the water?
There wasn't much debris in the water. I didn't travel far past Neskahi because I didn't want to hit my prop on a rock I couldn't see. The fishing also wasn't as good for me there. River channel depth in that area was around 50 feet deep where I turned around.

There wasn't much debris in the water. I didn't travel far past Neskahi because I didn't want to hit my prop on a rock I couldn't see. The fishing also wasn't as good for me there. River channel depth in that area was around 50 feet deep where I turned around.
Thanks Brian. I usually anchor my houseboat in that area, and am concerned this year about conditions.

I had about 10 different rods on the deck for this trip. Everything from 4lb fluorocarbon on an ultralight spinning rod to 50lb power pro braid with 16lb fluorocarbon leader. I have found straight 7lb fluorocarbon for Ned rig works well for me but 20lb Sufix 832 braid with a 10lb or larger leader also works well for Ned rigs and Yamamoto grubs on a jig head. For crankbaits I almost always use straight fourocarbon from 10lb to 16lb. The muscles will cut your line easily at Powell, so check your line and retie often. I did have 10lb mono set up on one rod that I use for top water lures. I’ve been using Sunline FC Sniper fluorocarbon the last couple years but others make good fluorocarbon as well. The lure I’m fishing with dictates which line I prefer.

I think Bill was there last week. Internet on my phone with AT&T was less consistent this year for me, so if he doesn’t respond soon, he may still be there with spotty internet.
If you are looking for striper boils, up toward Neshki would be were I would start in the San Juan. A month ago I caught them in multiple places were the edge of the stain and clear water.
Enjoy your trip.

Bill,
When are you heading up?? We hope to be on the SJ by the 17th. We usually camp in the Cha Bay Area, but run up toward Neshki most days for fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back