Another anti-Powell film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link!

I really enjoyed watching the 29-minute film (although I had to restart it 5 times as it would inexplicably stop and start over - luckily I could fast-forward).

I liked the fact-based commentary and information provided by many of the people in the film; I didn't like the snarky "anti" attitude that a couple of the river runners had - they seemed pretty ignorant and are not people I would want to be running the river with for a week! If they were my guides, I'd rather stay away - likely above the dam, where people don't seem quite so 'preachy' if that's a word.

Last edited:
I agree, the restarting each time an ad ran was annoying.
I did not think the film was incredibly negative, but the FB forum where I saw it was full of ‘drain it’ comments as of that was the only message.

Did you notice every person who was snarky about the dam and the change in the river was not alive to see the river in 1963 so their outrage is based on history info not personal knowledge

I agree, the restarting each time an ad ran was annoying.
I did not think the film was incredibly negative, but the FB forum where I saw it was full of ‘drain it’ comments as of that was the only message.

Did you notice every person who was snarky about the dam and the change in the river was not alive to see the river in 1963 so their outrage is based on history info not personal knowledge
Yes, I did notice that! I was going to mention that in my post - about the 'younger ones' in the film having the most attitude. The more 'experienced' people in the film seemed to have a deep respect for what the river was and what it is now.

I don't agree with the title of the video referring to the Colorado River as an "Unnatural Wonder." Removing man's influence from the Grand Canyon ecosystem does not make the Grand Canyon more natural. Mans role in the ecosystem is to have dominion over it and to manipulate it. That's what we are supposed to do.

Man has been hunting and fishing since the beginning of time and the animals in the Grand Canyon evolved there with man's influence. It was not until the early 1900's that hunting was prohibited in the Grand Canyon. It is hypocritical to allow fishing in the Grand Canyon, but not hunting when both have the same goals. Here is an example of what happens when man's influence is removed from the Grand Canyon ecosystem by prohibiting hunting.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...yon-buffalo-jones-house-rock-valley/79884888/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back