Animals on Road from Kanab to Page at Night??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sollly

Another post spurred this question from me and I didn't want to hijack that thread.
As a long time northerner, I find myself going to Wahweep these days.
Cows were always a concern going to Bullfrog from SLC and I always traveled slow and very carefully at night.

How are the animals on the stretch from Kanab to Page at night?
I see lots of deer crossing signs so I take that as a hint.
Looking for real world experience.

Thanks
Rob

Deer migration occurs twice/year during a 6-7 week window in the fall and the spring. The timing of the fall migration is generally from late September through early November when the deer travel from their summer range to the winter range. In the spring, the deer migrate back to their summer range generally between late March through mid May. This info is based on deer captured in that area, radio collared, and monitored for a migration study. Thousands of deer will cross highway 89 east of Kanab in the spring and fall. Vehicle collisions were minimized by constructing an 8 foot high mesh wire fence along the highway right of way around the year 2010.

Those 6-7 week intervals during the spring and fall are the most likely periods to see deer. The right of way fencing allows the deer to cross the highway by going under the roadway at the drainage culverts. Sometimes deer might be seen on the highway, but it is not common.

Last edited:
deer are plentiful along the entire route from exit 95 to the Paria town access road east of kanab, with the absolute worse being just south of duck creek, just south of panguitch by the river and absolutely between kanab and Paria access road. Although rarely seen during the day, the nighttime threat is massive. The cows after Blondies are predictable and slow, the deer will jump right in front of the car.

No matter how many times I tell the deer to look both ways and use the crosswalk. The Kanab to Page road is ten times safer than it used to be before the fence and under road bypass but still merits close attention

I drive that road a lot. Just because there is a fence along part of the road be aware that deer cross the road on either end of the fence and all year long. Sometimes deer are seen inside the fenced area also. I've almost hit deer even well east of the Paria turn off going to Page at night. Used to see many dead deer on the road side and that has been almost eliminated but one or two still seem to get hit in all parts of the year along that road. Once you are past the House Rock Valley turn off at the bottom of the hill going to Page you are probably safe from further encounters-maybe :)

Summer range is on the Grand Canyon side, winter range is on the other side.
Don't park near the under road crossings to observe the deer. Ticket time if you get caught.
And to think that in my youth (a LONG time ago) I'd roll through there doing 90 mph at night trying to get to the lake by morning from LA.

Great information.
Thanks to everyone for their input. Sounds like best practice for me would be to avoid that stretch at night and be very cautious and slow down if I have to .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back