anchovies

Status
Not open for further replies.
chubs and sucker stay on your hooks better.
skinny stripers make good chum.

Just sayin.....

Do your best to keep them frozen, thawed anchovies smell and don't stay on the hook very well. This time of year it might not be an issue, but in the summer it sure is. Sq

Last edited:
Do your best to keep them frozen, thawed anchovies smell and don't stay on the hook very well. This time of year it might not be an issue, but in the summer it sure is. Sq

All the more reason to not use anchovies. Chub, sucker......STRIPER. Striper can be used as both bait and chum. it's fresh, doesn't stink, stays on your hook, easily replenished.....the benefits of not buying anchovies are many.

(I guess I could understand having 1 bag of anchovies to get the ball rolling. But for those who have access to suckers, carp, or chubs....use them. 1 sucker fillet can make a lot of good bait!)

Can you use chubs in lake Powell? I know you can now use striper and shad that you catch in LP.

I am located in Hanksville and you will be going right thru here on your way there coming from Colorado. There are 3 places in town to buy anchovies. Stop on by and ask any questions you may have. We go to the lake as many times as we can. Winter months are the best! I am also a small start up repair business in town. Rabbitbrush Repair & Storage. Just look for the boats next to the Hwy just north of town. We are always willing to talk to people going to the lake and swap stories.

Can you use chubs in lake Powell? I know you can now use striper and shad that you catch in LP.

Your question prompted me to post 2017 regulations in another thread: Yes 3 species of suckers and Utah Chub can be used as bait:

•Dead mountain sucker, white sucker, Utah sucker, redside shiner, speckled dace, mottled sculpin, fathead minnow, Utah chub and common carp may be used as bait in any water where bait is permitted.

Thanks Wayne. Sucker and chub sure stay on the hook a lot better than those stinky anchovies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back