Anchovies at the dam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive not yet really gotten into bait fishing. Could you briefly describe the process?

Is it simply cutting a part of the anchovy off, hooking to a weighted jig head, and dropping in?

I think we’ll try that next time we come up over Easter weekend!
Yep, I would suggest the head as it stays on the hook longer at least for me. A light jig for a slow fall 1/4 oz.

60' is often the magic number for the dam. So as Ken said cast out about 60' and let it arc under the boat. Often hit before it gets under. Never forget one epic day there with 20 boats lined up and the furthest boat yells "fish on" and all the way down the line that fish on yell till it gets to us. Just bracing for the school to get to us. Fun stuff. Surely that will be the first of many for Emily.

you can let the line out to the desired depth and jig, or... I cast out and let it fall in an arc until it's straight under the boat. This way you cover more of the water column, rather than try and target a specific depth (unless that's working for you)

Casting out and letting it fall worked today.

Ive not yet really gotten into bait fishing. Could you briefly describe the process?

Is it simply cutting a part of the anchovy off, hooking to a weighted jig head, and dropping in?

Several years ago I took a family friend out bait fishing, action was not stop from 11 AM to 1 PM. She hadn’t been fishing in 20 years and she was like a kid catching fish. Great trip for all of us, we ran out of bait and never thought to use stripper meat. That was 2002

Well we ran down today and took the kiddos, a 3 and 5 year old. We started in Navajo where we trolled the back of the canyon and netted 7. We then moved the the mouth and brought in 5 more with chovies. The winning spot was the dam for sure. We, or should I say, the kids reeled in another 20 there. The largest weighed in at just over 5 pounds and had a beautiful fillet on him. All in all we donated 7 to 10 to the bottom of the lake, but the rest we collected great fillets for a fish fry tomorrow night! It was my 3 year old boys first catch. Thanks for the info!

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_153555_1.jpg
    IMG_20190407_153555_1.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20190407_141701.jpg
    IMG_20190407_141701.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 171
Well we ran down today and took the kiddos, a 3 and 5 year old. We started in Navajo where we trolled the back of the canyon and netted 7. We then moved the the mouth and brought in 5 more with chovies. The winning spot was the dam for sure. We, or should I say, the kids reeled in another 20 there. The largest weighed in at just over 5 pounds and had a beautiful fillet on him. All in all we donated 7 to 10 to the bottom of the lake, but the rest we collected great fillets for a fish fry tomorrow night! It was my 3 year old boys first catch. Thanks for the info!

Awesome! Glad you got on them.

Yep, I would suggest the head as it stays on the hook longer at least for me. A light jig for a slow fall 1/4 oz.

I don't like anchovies. They are messy, and they don't stay on the hook. And you have to buy them.

Why not use a striper? We just cut up a striper to use as chum and bait. One small strip of striper (filet it, then cut it into small strips) will stay on your hook all day. Heck, all week. No more re-baiting your hook. :)

I don't like anchovies. They are messy, and they don't stay on the hook. And you have to buy them.

Why not use a striper? We just cut up a striper to use as chum and bait. One small strip of striper (filet it, then cut it into small strips) will stay on your hook all day. Heck, all week. No more re-baiting your hook. :)
I quit using anchovies too once it became legal to use stripers, 1 skinny fish gives you as much bait and chum as 2 bags of chovies without the smell or mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back